Qatar 2022, an eco-friendly World Cup
Over half of the construction materials have been locally sourced and at least 20% of substances used for the field come from sustainable sources.
Those watching the preparations for the World Cup in Qatar in 2022 may have noticed the very important contribution by the Supreme Committee for Delivery & Legacy and their attempts to make the event an eco-friendly one.
This development was recognised during a visit by Frank Rijsberman, the General Director for the Global Green Growth Institute. Dr. Rijsberman was welcomed by Bedour Al Mir, who is the director of sustainability.
Plans for sustainability with regards to neutral emissions of carbon along with eco-friendly waste management were discussed as the main objectives of the meeting.
Furthermore, the stadiums are being constructed using the best practices and have been accredited at an international level. They allow for the efficient consumption of water and energy, while at least 20% of the materials used come from sustainable sources.
In order to reduce carbon emissions, 55% of the materials used during construction have been locally sourced. As for the surrounding areas, local and drought-resistant plants have been used and they will make up 75% of the green spaces.
When attending matches at the stadiums it will be clear to fans that they are in eco-friendly settings. Travelling to games can be done by the subway, reducing traffic.
Bike lanes and motorcycle parking will also be available around the country for the stadiums with visitors and fans able to select their own mode of transport, all with the environment in mind.
Te recomendamos en English
- AFCON qualifiers Despite an early scare, Nigeria too strong for plucky Lesotho
- Barcelona Barcelona: Dani Olmo leaves door open for Camp Nou return
- MLS Mandzukic: Inter Miami and LA Galaxy want Juventus striker
- European Championships England end Euro 2020 qualifying campaign on a high
- Euro 2020 Van Dijk leaves Netherlands squad due to personal reasons
- CRISTIANO RONALDO Cristiano: "You all invented a story that all was not well at Juve"