Atlético Madrid hand Joao Félix Griezmann's '7' shirt
The symbolism attached to inheriting Griezmann’s number 7 shirt will not be lost on the young Portuguese striker, who now has some big boots to fill at Atlético Madrid.
Atlético Madrid have announced that new signing, Portuguese teenage starlet Joao Felix, will inherit the number 7 shirt of club legend Antoine Griezmann.
Griezmann is still officially on Atlético’s books but had already announced in May that he would leave the club after five seasons, during which time he scored 133 goals in 257 games and helped Los Rojiblancos to the Champions League final in 2016 and Europa League triumph in 2018.
The Frenchman is expected to be confirmed as a Barcelona player imminently. And according to Catalan daily Mundo Deportivo, the LaLiga champions have already set a date for his medical and official unveiling.
Felix will bare weight of Griezmann’s ‘7’ shirt
In the meantime, Atléti have confirmed that 19-year-old Felix will become the club’s most expensive-ever singing, joining from Benfica for a staggering 127.2 million euros after he had attracted the interest of several of Europe’s top clubs, including Manchester United and Real Madrid.
And the symbolism attached to inheriting Griezmann’s number 7 shirt will not be lost on the young Portuguese striker, who will no doubt be aware of the incredibly big boots he is now expected to fill at the Wanda Metropolitano.
Felix takes '7'; Llorente takes Rodri’s ‘14’
Atlético have followed the same protocol with Felix as with Marcos Llorente, who was signed from Real Madrid two weeks ago.
After confirming Llorente’s transfer, the club announced he would wear the number 14 shirt of Rodrigo, who, at the time, was still an official member of Diego Simeone’s squad. Although, the club confirmed this Wednesday that Rodri’s release clause had been paid and he is now set to join Manchester City.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Mourinho mocks Real Madrid while discussing "remarkable" Gareth Bale
- Transfer market Messi set for Barcelona stay, Juve, Man Utd eye Ajax's Gravenberch
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid to offer Vinicius and Isco for Paulo Dybala
- Champions League Tuchel: "Are Juventus first in the league? Are Madrid or Barcelona?"
- GAMING NEWS Among Us: how to download and play for free on PC, Mac, mobile
- CORONAVIRUS Unemployment benefits: how many people could lose the aid if not extended?