Manchester City confirm Rodri signing for club record fee
Pep Guardiola's first major signing of the close season has been announced as Rodri joins for £63m (€70m) from Atletico Madrid.
Manchester City have signed Rodri from Atletico Madrid for a club-record fee after activating his reported €70million (£63million) release clause.
Atletico announced on Wednesday the midfielder's exit clause had been deposited at LaLiga headquarters by Rodri's lawyer and City representatives, freeing him from his contract.
The Premier League champions then confirmed on Thursday the Spain international has signed a five-year deal, becoming their second arrival of the week after full-back Angelino was brought back from PSV.
Rodri's move eclipses the £60m City paid to sign Riyad Mahrez from Leicester City in July 2018.
Rodri a key figure in first an only season at Atlético
He only joined Atletico from Villarreal a year ago, signing a five-year deal at the Wanda Metropolitano.
The 23-year-old made 47 appearances in all competitions as Diego Simeone's side won the UEFA Super Cup and finished as runners-up to Barcelona in LaLiga.
He also established himself as a mainstay in the Spain squad, with many viewing him as the long-term successor to Sergio Busquets in holding midfield.
Rodri will be expected to provide competition for Fernandinho, while further strengthening the midfield options for Pep Guardiola's side.
Te recomendamos en English
- Real Betis Rubi: “Lainez is ready but Guido Rodriguez still needs to adapt to the league”
- MLS TUDN: LA Galaxy leaves 14 jersey open so Chicharito could claim it
- BARCELONA Setién: "Messi did what Messi always does"
- BARCELONA Busquets: "You'll see what Setién is asking of us"
- Premier League Van Dijk refuses to agree that title race is over
- Bundesliga Not every team wins 4-0 in Berlin! Flick lauds his Bayern side