'Griezmann deal with Barcelona would have consequences'
After attending the draw for LaLiga fixtures 2019/20, Enrique Cerezo gave his thoughts on the Griezmann rumours and the star who replaces him.
Enrique Cerezo, president of Atlético Madrid, spoke to the media following his attendance at the draw for the LaLiga fixtures for the upcoming season. He gave his positive view on the record signing of João Félix and also a veiled threat to FC Barcelona over alleged tapping up.
"Every new player brings something and we will see if he is really worth it. I believe he's worth it. He's a good signing, a magnificent one," Cerezo said about the young striker from Benfica.
"He's a player that many teams in Europe wanted, big teams, and we are lucky he'll be part of Atlético Madrid next season."
Asked if he was at the level of the top stars he replied, "I am not a fortune-teller."
Another question that was put to the president was if his club would take any action against Barcelona regarding the stories that the club had an agreement in place with Antoine Griezmann since March.
"The truth is that I do not know but if, as you say, he [Griezmann] has signed, then there will be consequences.
"It doesn't appear normal to me but I don't know if he signed or not, and I don't know if he's going to Barcelona or not. Let's wait a few days, and I guess we'll know."
On the rebuild of his own side, Cerezo was confident.
"We are trying to create a great team. we have lost players this year and I think that we are replacing them with players of great quality.
"I think we will have a great season," he concluded.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?