Dani Alves and his controversial tweet: "I'm not stupid"
The Brazilian appeared to get a number of people's backs up when he made his initial comment on social media, before having to explain it away.
Brazil's Dani Alves has caused a bit of a stir after posting a tweet that he then had to clarify. And after the indignation shown by some of his followers for the original post, there was plenty of cynicism for the second.
"I'm not stupid. I was talking about Argentina"
The original message was a simple one and appeared shortly after Peru had surprised many with a semi-final win over Chile. This meant that Alves' nation, now clear favourites for the title after beating Argentina, knew their final opponent. The tweet read: 'Ya está', which is often translated into 'that's that' and used when something has already been decided. The emoticon of a thinking face added to the tone.
The insinuation from many of those who read it was that the PSG man was taking the final match against the perceived weaker side of Peru as a done deal, and that the Copa América trophy was guaranteed to be theirs on home soil. After complaints about him taking a win against his fellow South American country for granted, he responded by explaining he wasn't actually referring to Peru.
Via his Instagram account he said: "I'm not stupid, I was talking about Argentina."
The doubts remain of those that think it was strange timing to issue a tweet about Argentina immediately after the Peruvian win, after having a full day to do so previously.
Brazil face Peru in the Copa América final on Sunday at 22:00 CEST, and AS English will bring you all the action as it happens.
Te recomendamos en English
- Gaming News CoD Modern Warfare and Warzone The Haunting of Verdansk: content from new update
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Second stimulus check: why does McConnell advise against the deal?
- US Election 2020 USA Election 2020: how can I track my early vote ballot?
- PREMIER LEAGUE Tottenham: Mourinho dismisses 'Spursy' tag but says defending must improve
- JUVENTUS Cristiano shows off new close-crop haircut during Covid-19 quarantine
- 2020 MLB WORLD SERIES LA Dodgers - Tampa Bay Rays: odds in the series of the MLB World Series 2020