Dani Alves and his controversial tweet: "I'm not stupid"
The Brazilian appeared to get a number of people's backs up when he made his initial comment on social media, before having to explain it away.
Brazil's Dani Alves has caused a bit of a stir after posting a tweet that he then had to clarify. And after the indignation shown by some of his followers for the original post, there was plenty of cynicism for the second.
"I'm not stupid. I was talking about Argentina"
The original message was a simple one and appeared shortly after Peru had surprised many with a semi-final win over Chile. This meant that Alves' nation, now clear favourites for the title after beating Argentina, knew their final opponent. The tweet read: 'Ya está', which is often translated into 'that's that' and used when something has already been decided. The emoticon of a thinking face added to the tone.
The insinuation from many of those who read it was that the PSG man was taking the final match against the perceived weaker side of Peru as a done deal, and that the Copa América trophy was guaranteed to be theirs on home soil. After complaints about him taking a win against his fellow South American country for granted, he responded by explaining he wasn't actually referring to Peru.
Via his Instagram account he said: "I'm not stupid, I was talking about Argentina."
The doubts remain of those that think it was strange timing to issue a tweet about Argentina immediately after the Peruvian win, after having a full day to do so previously.
Brazil face Peru in the Copa América final on Sunday at 22:00 CEST, and AS English will bring you all the action as it happens.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINE Can you drink alcohol after taking a covid-19 vaccine?
- OLYMPICS 100 days until Tokyo games: Spitz urges Olympics to allow 'rightful opportunity to speak out'
- OLYMPICS Dibaba: Olympics would be "more comfortable" if athletes were vaccinated before Tokyo
- MLB MLB round-up: Dream start to MLB career continues for Baddoo, Giolioto-Bieber will be one to watch for years
- US POLICING Former Minnesota police officer to be charged with manslaughter for the killing of Daunte Wright
- VACCINE NEWS What is a cerebral venous sinus thrombosis? Blood clot symptons and causes