Netherlands sweating on star striker Martens for USA final
Having not trained on Saturday, the Barcelona forward will undergo a late fitness test for the Women's World Cup final on the day of the game.
Lieke Martens will have a fitness test on the morning of the Women's World Cup final between Netherlands and the United States.
Martens, who plays her club football at Barcelona, was forced off in the Dutch's semi-final victory over Sweden on Wednesday because of a foot problem she suffered when celebrating her last-16 winner against Japan.
The 26-year-old was not involved in the part of training open to the media on Saturday, having done a separate recovery programme the previous day.
Netherlands to make Martens decision on Sunday
Martens had said she hoped to be fit to play in the final after the victory over the Swedes and Netherlands coach Sarina Wiegman confirmed her star forward would be assessed prior to kick-off on Sunday.
"She's preparing for the game," Wiegman said. "We're not sure if she can start but we're working on it. We don't know the outcome yet, so we'll decide tomorrow morning."
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Modric first Ballon d'Or holder to miss shortlist
- FOOTBALL Barcelona pay Atlético €15m as peace offering over Griezmann
- BARCELONA Barcelona in Atlético first-refusal deal; Sául, Giménez included
- Champions League Champions League: Cristiano Ronaldo targets another record
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool: Carragher apologises to Evra for Luis Suárez T-shirts
- Copa Libertadores Boca Juniors vs River Plate: how and where to watch: times, tv, online