Atlético de Madrid agree fee for Benfica promise Ivan Saponjic
The 21-year-old forward is one of the pearls of Benfica's reserves. He was a world champion at Under-20 level with Veljko Paunovic's Serbia.
Atlético de Madrid have strengthened their attack with the addition of Ivan Saponjic who joins from Benfica. Atleti's technical department have been searching for a player to compliment or deputise for Álvaro Morata and Diego Costa - someone who can fill the vacant role which Nikola Kalinic is expected to leave when he moves on. Saponjic, who turns 22 next month, fits the bill. The young Serbia striker spent last season playing for Benfica's reserves in the LigaPro; in 2015, he was part of Veljko Paunovic's Serbia Under-20 side that were crowned world champions in New Zealand, scoring two goals at the tournament.
Atlético have reached an agreement with Benfica for the striker, who some commentators have compared to Mario Mandzukic, with the Portuguese club retaining a percentage of the player's economic rights as a safeguard should he be sold on at a later date. Saponjic is expected to arrive in Madrid this afternoon to undergo a medical revision.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Lucas, Ceballos futures hang in the balance ahead of Arsenal game
- Bundesliga Chelsea send Ethan Ampadu on loan to RB Leipzig
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Pogba arrival dependent on Bale exit
- JUVENTUS Furious Ronaldo has run-in with Sarri after being substituted
- MANCHESTER UNITED Man United set to splash out €160m on Maguire and Fernandes
- REAL MADRID Bale: Real Madrid should loan Welshman out, says Calderón