Atlético de Madrid agree fee for Benfica promise Ivan Saponjic
The 21-year-old forward is one of the pearls of Benfica's reserves. He was a world champion at Under-20 level with Veljko Paunovic's Serbia.
Atlético de Madrid have strengthened their attack with the addition of Ivan Saponjic who joins from Benfica. Atleti's technical department have been searching for a player to compliment or deputise for Álvaro Morata and Diego Costa - someone who can fill the vacant role which Nikola Kalinic is expected to leave when he moves on. Saponjic, who turns 22 next month, fits the bill. The young Serbia striker spent last season playing for Benfica's reserves in the LigaPro; in 2015, he was part of Veljko Paunovic's Serbia Under-20 side that were crowned world champions in New Zealand, scoring two goals at the tournament.
Atlético have reached an agreement with Benfica for the striker, who some commentators have compared to Mario Mandzukic, with the Portuguese club retaining a percentage of the player's economic rights as a safeguard should he be sold on at a later date. Saponjic is expected to arrive in Madrid this afternoon to undergo a medical revision.
Te recomendamos en English
- LaLiga The twenty innovations that have changed Spanish football
- Coronavirus Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths, news and stimulus checks, today
- BARCELONA Setién: "Messi absolutely needs to rest"
- Liverpool 1-1 Burnley Klopp explains referee row at end of Burnley match
- CORONAVIRUS Disney World opens despite coronavirus: Park Restrictions
- CORONAVIRUS Stimulus check: tens of thousands of Americans sent two payments by mistake