Atlético de Madrid agree fee for Benfica promise Ivan Saponjic
The 21-year-old forward is one of the pearls of Benfica's reserves. He was a world champion at Under-20 level with Veljko Paunovic's Serbia.
Atlético de Madrid have strengthened their attack with the addition of Ivan Saponjic who joins from Benfica. Atleti's technical department have been searching for a player to compliment or deputise for Álvaro Morata and Diego Costa - someone who can fill the vacant role which Nikola Kalinic is expected to leave when he moves on. Saponjic, who turns 22 next month, fits the bill. The young Serbia striker spent last season playing for Benfica's reserves in the LigaPro; in 2015, he was part of Veljko Paunovic's Serbia Under-20 side that were crowned world champions in New Zealand, scoring two goals at the tournament.
Atlético have reached an agreement with Benfica for the striker, who some commentators have compared to Mario Mandzukic, with the Portuguese club retaining a percentage of the player's economic rights as a safeguard should he be sold on at a later date. Saponjic is expected to arrive in Madrid this afternoon to undergo a medical revision.
Te recomendamos en English
- MAN UNITED-LIVERPOOL Mourinho says Liverpool boss Klopp 'didn't like the menu' at Man Utd
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Jovic concerns continue after Mallorca defeat
- PREMIER LEAGUE Rashford's goal showed all the problems with VAR - Klopp
- REAL MADRID My lovely horse: Odriozola buys a racehorse before Mallorca game
- BARCELONA Barcelona trio come to life: 13 goals between them so far
- MANCHESTER UNITED Man United chief says Glazers not selling amid reported Saudi Crown Prince interest