Antoine Griezmann faces fine for Atlético Madrid no show
The requirement was to be at Cerro del Espino at 20:30 on Sunday evening, as Diego Simeone's squad got together to start pre-season training.
In the end, after so much talk, Antoine Griezmann did not show up at Cerro del Espino for the start of Atlético Madrid's pre-season training. He had been requested to join up with the rest of the squad, including those on international duty. Oblak, Lemar, new signing Joao Félix, all there, but their French striker was absent...without leave.
Griezmann AWOL as Atlético begin
On Friday the Madrid club had made it clear that they expected Griezmann to show up on Sunday, and they also made known their displeasure at Barcelona's actions, saying they had shown 'a lack of respect to Atlético'. The player's lawyer responded by email hours later, on Saturday, confirming that the Frenchman would not be arriving due to the 'emotional stress after saying goodbye to colleagues and fans'. In addition to Griezmann's camp had advised that professional footballers are entitled to 30 days holiday, and following the France-Andorra match he had only been away for 26 days.
The player potentially now faces a case being opened against him by the club he is still contracted to until 2023 for his latest 'decisión', one that normally carries with it a financial punishment. That fine would, incidentally, increase for each additional day that Griezmann stayed away, which some have suggested could be between 3,000 and 5,000 euros a day. Gol reported on Sunday morning that it could even be as much as 4% of his salary, which would be 60,000 euros (he earns 23 million euros).
The next page in the saga is likely to be turned very soon...
Te recomendamos en English
- SERIE A Ronaldo scores in his 1,000th game
- BARCELONA 5-0 EIBAR Quique Setién: "Messi is a guarantee for any coach"
- BARCELONA 5-0 EIBAR Braithwaite after Barcelona debut: "I won't wash my clothes after hugging Messi"
- Bundesliga Paderborn confirm death of 14-month-old girl at Bayern game
- BARCELONA 5 - 0 EIBAR Real Madrid badge spotted on scoreboard at the Camp Nou
- Levante v Real Madrid Hazard off injured during Levante-Real Madrid with Clásico next week