Copa América: Brazil's Jesus apologises for final outburst
Brazil forward Gabriel Jesus does not believe he should have been sent off in the Copa América final but is sorry for his response.
Gabriel Jesus has apologised for his explosive reaction to his Copa América final red card for Brazil.
Jesus reacts furiously to dismissal for second booking
The Manchester City forward scored one goal and created another against Peru but, with the scoreline 2-1, he was shown a second yellow card for a clumsy challenge on Carlos Zambrano.
Jesus subsequently lashed out at a water bottle and the VAR cabin, while he was later pictured crying in the tunnel.
"I could have hurt someone and I'm glad I didn't"
Brazil went on to win 3-1 with a late Richarlison penalty, but Jesus apologised for his actions, while maintaining he should not have been dismissed.
"I want to apologise to the people who were nearby," he said. "It was a moment of anger, right? It was a mixture of emotions and anger, from my point of view, at the red card.
"I could have hurt someone and I'm glad I didn't. I was wanting to help the team and that moment could have hurt.
"We were winning, playing a good game, and the referee makes the wrong decision. But I need to grow up, too.
"I do not want to shut people up, I do not want any of this. I am aware of my quality, my football, what brought me here today. Criticism, as well as praise, will come at all times.
"I give my maximum on the field, knowing that sometimes things take other routes but I'm happy with the tournament. From the first day in camp, everyone was happy, focused."
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Lucas, Ceballos futures hang in the balance ahead of Arsenal game
- Bundesliga Chelsea send Ethan Ampadu on loan to RB Leipzig
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Pogba arrival dependent on Bale exit
- JUVENTUS Furious Ronaldo has run-in with Sarri after being substituted
- MANCHESTER UNITED Man United set to splash out €160m on Maguire and Fernandes
- REAL MADRID Bale: Real Madrid should loan Welshman out, says Calderón