Alves: Messi disrespected Brazil with Copa América outburst
Lionel Messi's attack on CONMEBOL and the Copa América has not gone down well with Brazil captain Dani Alves.
Dani Alves has criticised Lionel Messi for being "disrespectful" of Brazil with his controversial comments at the Copa América.
Argentina star Messi railed against "corruption" and the quality of officiating after harshly being dismissed for an altercation with Chile's Gary Medel in Saturday's bronze medal match.
Crucial refereeing decisions also went against La Albiceleste in their semi-final loss to host nation and eventual champions Brazil.
CONMEBOL – football's governing body in South America – branded the forward's allegations of corruption "unacceptable" and Brazil boss Tite urged him to show more respect.
"A friend is not always right just because he's a friend"
Veteran right-back Alves, Messi's team-mate for close to a decade at Barcelona, echoed that view.
"A friend is not always right just because he's a friend. You can say it in the heat of the moment, but I still won't agree," the Brazil captain told SporTV.
Capitão, craque da competição e ídolo! Daniel Alves só não fez chover nessa @CopaAmerica e provou que seus 36 anos só pesou para os adversários:— CBF Futebol (@CBF_Futebol) July 8, 2019
Mais passes ofensivos
Mais cruzamentos#JogaBola pic.twitter.com/qAfGe2qDkR
"Firstly, he's disrespecting an institution such as the Seleção, in my view.
"Secondly, he's being disrespectful with several professionals who put a lot of things aside so they could be there fighting for a dream.
"I'm a friend who always tells the truth when it's due, and I think he was wrong for saying these things."
Messi refuses to collect medal after Chile win
Argentina overcame Chile in the third-place play-off but Messi did not join his team-mates in collecting a medal.
Alves and Brazil went on to beat Peru in the final, winning the tournament for the first time since 2007.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- CORONAVIRUS Stimulus checks: how many non-filers may be missing out on payment?
- Coronavirus When and how could a second stimulus check pass in the Senate?
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: how much money is the new plan supported by Trump?
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: possible dates to approve a new relief bill before the election
- CORONAVIRUS Stimulus check: how is the IRS contacting people for missing payments?