Özil: Fenerbahçe rule out loan move for Arsenal midfielder
Mesut Özil had been linked with a loan move to Fenerbahçe, but the Turkish side insist the Arsenal playmaker is too expensive for them.
Fenerbahce have distanced themselves from reports linking them with Arsenal star Mesut Özil, adamant they cannot afford the playmaker.
Ozil joined Arsenal from Real Madrid in 2013, and although he has been a key player for much of that time, he has also polarised opinion among the club's supporters.
After an underwhelming season under Unai Emery last term, media speculation had suggested Arsenal are willing to offload Özil in order to lighten their wage bill, but Fenerbahçe insist rumours of a loan move are wide of the mark.
A Fenerbahçe statement read: "Mesut Özil, with his career and standing, successfully represents our country abroad. He is an important value known with the identity of Fenerbahçe.
Fenerbahçe: "No proposal for Özil"
"However, Fenerbahce does not have a proposal for Mesut Özil. Under the current economic conditions, such a step is not possible for both parties.
"Our president, Ali Koc, made statements on the subject in the WinWin program held on June 20 and emphasised that this could not be realised in the short term."
Özil signed a new three-and-a-half-year contract in February last year, as the Gunners managed to prevent him leaving on a free transfer at the end of the 2017-18 campaign.
That was seen as a major coup, particularly given the departure of Alexis Sánchez to Manchester United in January 2018, but Özil's form has not recovered as expected.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Potential Madrid presidential election could influence summer signings
- COPA DEL REY Copa del Rey: Messi striving to save Barça's season as chaos reigns
- NBA NBA round-up: LeBron not enough as Suns sizzle against Lakers
- FOOTBALL Ibrahimovic makes Sanremo festival debut: "I have been the best on this stage"
- LeBron not enough as Suns sizzle against Lakers, Beal sets Wizards record
- STIMULUS CHECKS Third stimulus check updates today: when will Senate vote on it? | When it is coming & IRS tax return | Live