AC Milan and Inter file proposal for new, state-of-the-art 60,000-seater stadium
A proposal for a new stadium to replace the existing San Siro ground was filed by AC Milan and Inter on Wednesday, the clubs confirmed.
AC Milan and Inter Milan have taken the first official steps to replacing their existing San Siro ground with a new 60,000-seater stadium after filing a proposal with local authorities.
One of Europe's iconic grounds
Commonly known as San Siro for the district of Milan in which it is situated, Stadio Giuseppe Meazza is one of the most iconic grounds in European football, having hosted 1990 World Cup matches and four European Cup/Champions League finals. But it has long needed significant regeneration and Rossoneri president Paolo Scaroni in June revealed plans to demolish the stadium and replace it with a state-of-the-art arena.
Milan and Inter confirmed they initiated the process on Wednesday in a joint statement, with their new home set to hold approximately 60,000 people.
The release read: "AC Milan and Inter filed with the municipality of Milan the technical and economic feasibility study for the new Milan stadium and its multifunctional district. The proposal to the local institutions marks a first official step by the clubs, beginning a shared journey together with the municipality towards constructing a modern, sustainable and accessible urban district in the San Siro area, built around a new world-class stadium. The documentation submitted by the clubs consists of a detailed technical and engineering study which does not yet include an architectural component."
New Milan stadium will generate employment
The clubs expect to create an estimated 3,500 jobs as part of a regeneration project in the entire San Siro area that is predicted to cost €1.2billion.
Te recomendamos en English
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus USA live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks, latest news
- GAMING NEWS Genshin Impact: how to download free in PS4, PC, iOS and Android
- US Election 2020 What did Trump say about vote by mail in debate against Biden?
- Coronavirus India Covid-19 cases surpass 6.2 million; vice-president Venkaiah Naidu tests positive
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: how much would be paid to children and adults in new HEROES Act?
- US NEWS US elections 2020: What did moderator Chris Wallace and Trump argue about?