Atlético Madrid say €120 million paid by Barcelona for Griezmann not enough
Atlético Madrid say that the agreement between the player and the club was obviously made before July 1st when his release clause dropped from €200 million to €120 million.
Atlético Madrid have released a statement saying the €120 million paid for Antoine Griezmann in LaLiga's offices on Friday afternoon is not sufficient. Barcelona officially announced the French striker as their newest addition on Friday afternoon shortly after Griezmann's lawyers deposited the money into LaLiga's headquarters in Madrid.
Atleti say the agreement between Barcelona and Griezmann was reached before his release clause dropped from €200 million to €120 million on July 1st.
Atlético statement adamant that €120 million not enough
"The amount deposited is insufficient to pay his release clause because it is obvious that the agreement between the club and Barcelona was done before his fee dropped from €200 to €120 million," the statement says.
"Atlético Madrid understand that the contract was broken before the end of last season, on the basis of the facts, actions and statements of the player and the club has therefore started the proceedings it considers appropriate to defend its legitimate rights and interests."
"Atleti are disgusted by the behaviour of Barcelona and the player and particularly Barcelona, for inducing a player to break their contractual relationship with Atlético Madrid at a time in the season when the club was playing, not just a Champions League tie against Juventus, but also the League title against Barcelona itself."
Josep Bartomeu said they had spoken to Griezmann last week during Frenkie de Jong's presentation and Atlético Madrid released a statement then saying they would be reporting Barcelona for speaking to their player before the transfer window opened. They also said they rejected Barcelona's proposed delayed payment for their star player.
Te recomendamos en English
- US ELECTIONS 2020 Biden - Trump final debate live online: fact check and reactions | US Election 2020
- US NEWS US elections 2020: who is the moderator for the final presidential debate?
- CORONAVIRUS USA coronavirus live: Trump, stimulus checks, cases, deaths, updates today
- US ELECTIONS 2020 Trump - Biden debate: why will they be muted when the other is talking?
- PRESEDENTIAL DEBATE Last debate Trump vs Biden tonight: time, TV and how to watch live online
- BARCELONA Barcelona captains issue scathing letter to board