Atlético Madrid say €120 million paid by Barcelona for Griezmann not enough
Atlético Madrid say that the agreement between the player and the club was obviously made before July 1st when his release clause dropped from €200 million to €120 million.
Atlético Madrid have released a statement saying the €120 million paid for Antoine Griezmann in LaLiga's offices on Friday afternoon is not sufficient. Barcelona officially announced the French striker as their newest addition on Friday afternoon shortly after Griezmann's lawyers deposited the money into LaLiga's headquarters in Madrid.
Atleti say the agreement between Barcelona and Griezmann was reached before his release clause dropped from €200 million to €120 million on July 1st.
Atlético statement adamant that €120 million not enough
"The amount deposited is insufficient to pay his release clause because it is obvious that the agreement between the club and Barcelona was done before his fee dropped from €200 to €120 million," the statement says.
"Atlético Madrid understand that the contract was broken before the end of last season, on the basis of the facts, actions and statements of the player and the club has therefore started the proceedings it considers appropriate to defend its legitimate rights and interests."
"Atleti are disgusted by the behaviour of Barcelona and the player and particularly Barcelona, for inducing a player to break their contractual relationship with Atlético Madrid at a time in the season when the club was playing, not just a Champions League tie against Juventus, but also the League title against Barcelona itself."
Josep Bartomeu said they had spoken to Griezmann last week during Frenkie de Jong's presentation and Atlético Madrid released a statement then saying they would be reporting Barcelona for speaking to their player before the transfer window opened. They also said they rejected Barcelona's proposed delayed payment for their star player.
Te recomendamos en English
- US News Unemployment benefits: can you keep the payments if you go back to work?
- US News Which states have abolished federal unemployment benefits and why?
- EURO 2020 Ronaldo's gesture wipes $3.5bn off Coca-Cola's market value
- US NEWS Why is Juneteenth being considered a national holiday?
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINE California Vaccine Lottery: from which counties were the 15 June winners and how much did they win?
- CORONAVIRUS VACCINE Novavax covid-19 vaccine: How effective is it and who will get it?