Real Madrid: Zidane leaves pre-season tour for personal reasons
Zinedine Zidane's assistant, David Bettoni, is to take charge of first-team affairs until the head coach's return, Real Madrid have said.
Real Madrid head coach Zinedine Zidane has left the LaLiga club's pre-season tour of North America to attend to an urgent family matter.
"Our manager, Zinedine Zidane, has left the pre-season training camp in Montreal for personal reasons," Madrid said in a statement on Friday.
"Until he returns, sessions will be led by assistant coach David Bettoni."
Zidane departure only temporary, club sources say
Club sources insist that Zidane will join back up with the squad within a short period of time, and is not expected to miss Madrid's first International Champions Cup game in the United States, against Bayern Munich in Houston on 20 July.
Madrid then face Arsenal in Landover on 23 July, before coming up against city rivals Atlético Madrid in New Jersey three days later.
Te recomendamos en English
- AFCON qualifiers Despite an early scare, Nigeria too strong for plucky Lesotho
- Barcelona Barcelona: Dani Olmo leaves door open for Camp Nou return
- MLS Mandzukic: Inter Miami and LA Galaxy want Juventus striker
- European Championships England end Euro 2020 qualifying campaign on a high
- Euro 2020 Van Dijk leaves Netherlands squad due to personal reasons
- CRISTIANO RONALDO Cristiano: "You all invented a story that all was not well at Juve"