Griezmann's first words as Barcelona player: "It’s our time"
Barcelona have released a video of Antoine Griezmann in which he speaks of the draw of "a new challenge", after his move from Atlético Madrid was confirmed on Friday.
Amid the emerging dispute between Atlético Madrid and Barcelona regarding his transfer fee, Antoine Griezmann has spoken his first words as a Blaugrana player in a video released by the Catalan club on social media.
Barça announced the much anticipated signing of the French striker earlier this Friday, after his lawyers deposited the 120 million euros to cover his buyout clause into Atlético’s account on Friday morning.
The 28-year-old was heavily linked with Camp Nou last summer but in the end rejected a move and renewed his deal with Atlético. But less than one year on from penning a new contract at the Wanda Metropolitano, the player announced in May that he would leave the club to seek a new challenge.
And in the video published on Barcelona’s official Twitter page, the World Cup winner makes reference to the draw of a new challenge, after he signed a five-season deal at Camp Nou.
Griezmann: “I’ll defend the Barça colours”
“When I was a boy, my dad taught me that trains don’t come around just once. Now it’s time to take on the new challenge of a new destination,” says Griezmann.
“Finally our paths cross. I’ll defend the Barça colours with all my determination and commitment. It’s our time. This is our path.”
✌️ Life is all about second chances. pic.twitter.com/5ArFiaP2ht— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) 12 July 2019
Atléti-Barcelona Griezmann case could go to courts
The video is unlikely to go down to well with Atlético fans nor with the club itself, which is now demanding that Barcelona pay 200 million euros for the Frenchman, claiming that Griezmann and the Camp Nou board had secretly come to an agreement back in March before his release clause had dropped from €200 million to €120 million on 1 July.
If Barcelona are unwilling to pay the extra 80 million euros demanded by Atléti, it is likely that the latter will seek resolution in the Spanish courts, with the possibility of appeals going all the way to the Spanish Supreme Court.
"At the end of the day, a judge will decide if Griezmann and Barça committed fraud or if Atlético have made a mistake,” sports lawyer, Alfredo Garzón of Senn Ferrero lawyers, told AS.
“Atlético will need to prove, with documents, witnesses, etc. that the agreement between Barça and Griezmann was reached at that time.”
Having announced the French striker's signing, Barcelona taught it was mission complete. But it seems that the Griezmann saga will be dragged on by Atlético’s fuming directors for some time yet.
Te recomendamos en English
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Granada 1-4 Real Madrid: LaLiga title race now a capital affair
- Climate News Carbon Tax: What is it and who is calling for the federal government to implement one?
- Real Madrid Kroos' season could be over after covid-19 contact
- FA CUP FA Cup prize money: how much do the winners get?
- Coupe de France final PSG: Neymar banned for Coupe de France final against Monaco
- Coronavirus Where won't you have to wear a mask after the vaccine and in what cases?