Atlético: Griezmann claims only made with evidence – Cerezo
Los Rojiblancos are adamant they are owed more money and claim a deal was struck before the player's release clause dropped on 1 July.
Enrique Cerezo claimed Atlético Madrid have evidence Barcelona had agreed to terms with Antoine Griezmann before his release clause dropped to €120million.
Barca confirmed the signing of Griezmann on Friday on a five-year deal after a solicitor representing the forward deposited money for his buy-out clause at LaLiga headquarters in Madrid.
Deal reached before change of buyout clause
However, Atlético believe the France international agreed to terms with Barca before his clause dropped from €200m on July 1 and therefore claim they are owed an additional €80m to ratify the transfer, they said in a statement.
Cerezo, the club president, said the LaLiga outfit had proof and planned to request a greater fee.
"If the club have made this statement it's because there's evidence," he told RAC1. "We have to study it and we'll demand the amount we consider to be necessary."
Life is all about second chances. pic.twitter.com/5ArFiaP2ht— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) July 12, 2019
Barcelona yet to respond
Barca, who reportedly plan to present Griezmann at Camp Nou on Sunday, have yet to respond to Atletico's claims. Cerezo also hit out at Griezmann, who confirmed in May he would be leaving Atletico.
"I'm disappointed by his attitude," he said. "He wanted to leave, but he didn't tell us until the last minute."
Te recomendamos en English
- Bundesliga Jadon Sancho sets Bundesliga assist record in Arminia win
- FOOTBALL Transfer news round-up: Liverpool eyeing Gerard return as Klopp exit looms
- BOXING Canelo finishes Yildirim in three rounds to retain world titles
- NBA Mavs snap Nets' eight-game winning streak, Embiid scores 42 but 76ers lose in OT
- AMERICAN RESCUE PLAN ACT 2021 Will I be able to apply for a third stimulus check and $3000 child tax credit?
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when will Senate vote on it? | How much, who qualifies, Child tax credit | Live