Atlético to offer Saúl improved deal to foil Man United interest
Los Rojiblancos are willing to offer the Spain midfielder a pay rise to keep him at the club, particularly after recent enquiries from the Red Devils.
Atlético Madrid have reportedly re-opened negotiations with midfielder Saúl Ñíguez to offer him a wage increase. On 3 July reports appeared linking the Spaniard with a move to Manchester United, with the Premier League club interested in Saúl as an option to replace Paul Pogba should the Frenchman depart this summer.
Atlético to offer Saúl improved deal
United's willingness to pay Saúl's 150-million-euro release clause has prompted Atlético to act swiftly and the negotiations between club and player had reportedly broken down but are now believed to be up and running again.
After the departure of Griezmann, Godín and Lucas, among others, Los Rojiblancos are not keen on losing another of their big hitters. However, increased wages for the player would not be accompanied by a higher buyout clause or contract extension - Saúl's current contract runs until 30 June 2026.
If negotiations between the player's agents and Atlético bear fruit, Saúl would become the club's highest paid player, an honour currently occupied by Jan Oblak, who earns 10 million euros net after his recent contract renewal.
Te recomendamos en English
- Liverpool Klopp: Mbappe, Haaland will think twice if Liverpool can't offer Champions League football
- CSL Chinese Super League counts the cost of the boom years
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid, Liverpool and Juve keen on Lyon's Houssem Aouar
- NBA NBA All-Star weekend: who were the Hall of Famers in 2020?
- CORONAVIRUS Biden criticises “Neanderthal” decision to remove mask mandates
- COPA DEL REY Barcelona vs Sevilla: result, summary and goals