Giroud bags brace in Lampard's first win as Chelsea boss
Olivier Giroud's brace and goals from Mason Mount and Emerson Palmieri earned Chelsea a 4-0 pre-season friendly win over St Patrick's Athletic.
Frank Lampard saw Olivier Giroud score a brace and academy product Mason Mount also get on the scoresheet as Chelsea beat St Patrick's Athletic 4-0 in a pre-season friendly.
Second outing of the summer
After seeing his new charges pegged back by a late goal in a 1-1 midweek draw against Bohemians, Lampard enjoyed his first win since taking the reigns as head coach nine days earlier.
Giroud's brace equalled the number of Premier League goals he scored for Chelsea in 2018-19, while Mount's lively performance will have come as no surprise to Lampard, who managed the 20-year-old during his loan spell at Derby County last season. Michy Batshuayi, who scored against Bohemians, impressed again in the early stages at Richmond Park, where he crashed a shot against the crossbar after 14 minutes.
Moments later, Mount latched onto Mateo Kovacic's well-timed pass and rolled the ball calmly into the net. Ross Barkley hit the post for Chelsea before Emerson Palmieri's long-range strike slipped through goalkeeper Barry Murphy's hands and into the net.
Just before the hour Giroud met Kenedy's cross with an unstoppable volley, beating Murphy at his near post, and the France international netted again two minutes from the end to send a message to his new coach ahead of the season.
Chelsea's friendlies in Japan
Chelsea fly out to Japan on Monday for the next stage of their pre-season. Lampard's Blues face Kawasaki Frontale in Yokohama on Friday then take on Barcelona at Saitama stadium four days later.
Te recomendamos en English
- Mourinho quips: Will Man Utd get Man City's 2018 title after FFP breach?
- Real Madrid Real Madrid's season set to be determined by the next 30 days
- PORTUGAL Extraordinary scenes as Porto's Marega walks off pitch over racist chants
- REAL MADRID Rodrygo and Vinicius seem inextricably linked
- JUVENTUS Sarri explains reasons for Ronaldo's omission following Juventus win
- Champions League Champions League Istanbul 2020 final match-ball revealed