Valencia win race for Celta de Vigo forward Maxi Gómez
Uruguayan striker Maxi Gómez has completed a move from Celta Vigo to fellow LaLiga club Valencia, with Santi Mina heading the opposite way.
Valencia have won the race to sign Celta de Vigo forward Maxi Gómez. The Uruguay international, who had also been strongly linked with West Ham and Tottenham, moves to Mestalla on a five-year contract that includes a €140million release clause.
Santi Mina and Sáenz form part of the deal
Valencia have reportedly paid a fee in the region of €14.5m for the 22-year-old, while Celta have confirmed the return of Santi Mina as part of the transfer. Jorge Sáenz is also expected to head to Balaídos on a two-year loan. Mina made more than 100 league appearances for Valencia and scored 29 goals, but he is now back at Celta after four seasons away.
Marcelino's side saw off competition for the signing of Gómez, whose new release clause has been set at €140m, with Barcelona also rumoured to have showed an interest this year. He scored 30 goals in 71 league games for Celta after joining from Defensor Sporting two years ago.
New faces at Valencia
Valencia have been busy during the close season having also added the likes of Jasper Cillessen, Manu Vallejo and Jason to their squad, while Denis Cheryshev has signed a permanent deal.
Te recomendamos en English
- LALIGA Joan Jordan: "We will fight like animals against Real Madrid"
- REAL MADRID Mariano and Brahim frozen out as clock ticks on their departures
- ATLÉTICO MADRID PSG dressing room tries to convince Cavani to stay
- MANCHESTER UNITED Sporting coach: "Fernandes not worth the money you are talking about..."
- Rumour Has It: Sporting want €65m from Man Utd for Fernandes
- BARCELONA Barcelona: Setién calls bonding dinner for players and staff