Iker Casillas to join Porto's backroom staff
Porto have confirmed the Spanish keeper, who suffered a heart attack in May, will take up a different role ahead of the upcoming season.
Iker Casillas is to work with Porto's backroom staff as he continues his recovery from a heart attack.
Former Real Madrid and Spain star Casillas was rushed to hospital after collapsing in a training session on May 1.
The 38-year-old was discharged five days later, and he acknowledged at the time that he was unsure what the future held.
Reports later claimed Casillas had decided to retire, though those suggestions were denied by the player.
Casillas to act as bridge between players and staff
@IkerCasillas fará parte do staff diretivo da equipa de futebol, enquanto recupera do problema de saúde.— FC Porto (@FCPorto) July 15, 2019
"Vou fazer a ligação entre a equipa e o clube."
"Que todos juntos possamos fazer uma grande época"
Notícia completa https://t.co/3yJTdPS57b#FCPorto pic.twitter.com/0NUWqxR5E8
While Casillas will not be a part of Porto's first-team squad heading into next season, the goalkeeper has not officially called time on his career and will instead take up a role helping to manage relations between the players, coaching staff and directors at Estadio do Dragao for the time being.
"I'm going to do something different than I usually did, which was to be on the pitch," Casillas told Porto's TV channel.
"I'll try to make the connection between the team and the club. The coach talked to me last season when my situation happened, and he told me that he wanted me to stay with them, close to the players, near the younger players, because there would be a lot of changes."
Te recomendamos en English
- LIGUE 1 | ROTHEN Mbappé attitude under scrutiny amid Pochettino comments
- PORTUGAL Pepe recalls landing in Portugal from Brazil: "Have you anything to eat? I don't have any money..."
- NBA Lakers cruise as Bucks, Celtics extend winning streaks
- NBA James Harden confident about Durant, Irving connection: "We're all unselfish"
- BARCELONA Barcelona: Koeman's Super Cup plans depend on Messi
- CORONAVIRUS What's the difference between the third stimulus check & Biden's rescue plan?