Reaching CAN final is unbelievable – match winner Mahrez
Match-winner Riyad Mahrez revelled in Algeria's progress to the AFCON decider following a dramatic semi-final.
Riyad Mahrez described Algeria reaching the Africa Cup of Nations final as "unbelievable" after setting up a showdown with Senegal thanks to his stunning last-gasp free-kick.
Mahrez was the hero in Cairo, where the Manchester City star curled a 95th-minute set-piece past Nigeria goalkeeper Daniel Akpeyi to seal a dramatic 2-1 victory on Sunday.
Algeria had initially led through William Troost-Ekong's own goal before Nigeria equalised via an Odion Ighalo penalty with 18 minutes remaining following a VAR review.
Mahrez and Algeria will now contest their first AFCON final since winning the tournament on home soil in 1990 when they face Senegal on Friday.
After his man-of-the-match performance, Mahrez said: "It was a very tough game today against a strong team. We were one goal up and were in control before VAR's decision – they scored the penalty and in the last minute we converted our free-kick.
"We are very happy because to be in the final of the Africa Cup of Nations is something unbelievable. I think we have been very good in this tournament. We scored 12 goals and conceded two, that is the source of our confidence.
"We are looking forward to the final against Senegal. We played them in the group stage and we are expecting another tough game."
Algeria topped Group C ahead of Senegal, who lost 1-0 to the Desert Foxes on matchday two last month.
Te recomendamos en English
- Real Betis Rubi: “Lainez is ready but Guido Rodriguez still needs to adapt to the league”
- MLS TUDN: LA Galaxy leaves 14 jersey open so Chicharito could claim it
- BARCELONA Setién: "Messi did what Messi always does"
- BARCELONA Busquets: "You'll see what Setién is asking of us"
- Premier League Van Dijk refuses to agree that title race is over
- Bundesliga Not every team wins 4-0 in Berlin! Flick lauds his Bayern side