Real Madrid: Vinicius, Brahim, Rodrygo, Lunin up for Golden Boy
The four Madrid youngsters are on the list for the award, along with Atlético's Joao Félix, Villarreal's Samuel Chukwueze and Betis' Diego Lainez.
Real Madrid have spent the past few years stockpiling some of the most promising talent in world football and four of those acquisitions are in the running for the 2019 Golden Boy award: Rodrygo, Brahim Díaz, Anriy Lunin and Vinicius.
Lunin may have had a quiet season on loan at Leganés, where he acted as back-up to Iván Cuéllar, but the keeper was instrumental in Ukraine making history by winning their first under-20 World Cup title in Poland this summer.
Vinicius surprised many by breaking into the Real Madrid first team during his debut season at the tender age of 18 while Rodrygo shone at Santos and Brahim had a standout first half of the season at Manchester City before moving to the Bernabéu, where he found chances harder to come by.
De Ligt up to retain his title
The list of players up for the award will be reduced by 20 each month until the final shortlist is announced in October. Among other Liga players in the running are Samuel Chukwueze (Villarreal), Joao Félix and Neuén (Atlético Madrid), Isak (Real Sociedad), Diego Lainez (Betis) and Kang-In Lee (Valencia).
The award was inaugurated in 2003 with Rafael van der Vaart winning the first to spark a list of footballing greats including Wayne Rooney, Leo Messi, Sergio Agüero, Pato, Mario Balotelli, Isco, Paul Pogba, Raheem Sterling, Kylian Mbappé and current holder Matthijs de Ligt.
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Casemiro and Valverde form the ideal midfield partnership
- COPA DEL REY Copa del Rey draw: 2019/20 first-round pairings revealed
- ENGLAND England: Southgate believes Sterling tweet brought closure to Gomez incident
- BARCELONA Rakitic: Barcelona turn down Premier League offer
- Serie A Manchester United: Koulibaly not planning on Napoli departure
- Neymar 'will always be an option' for Barcelona – Abidal