Trippier: LaLiga's 20th and first at Atlético Madrid since civil war
The former Tottenham star joins a list that includes the likes of Gary Lineker, David Beckham and the lesser-known Drinkwater, 95 years ago.
Drinkwater to Trippier
There is not much information available on the man that was simply known as Drinkwater. He was a striker, played only three games for the rojiblancos, but incredibly scored 10 goals in that time in the 1923/24 season. Since him, the English have somehow never formed a part of the club's playing staff, well, not until now.
More popular nationalities at Atleti have been Argentina, with an impressive 47 representatives, and Brazil with 28.
It is neighbours Real Madrid who have attracted the most English players over the history of LaLiga, although it has been shown over the years that Brits (including those from the rest of the Br6itish Isles) tend not to travel as much as many other nationalities. Trippier indeed, is only the 20th Englishman to make the move.
English players in LaLiga
|David Beckham||Real Madrid||116|
|Steve McManaman||Real Madrid||94|
|Vinny Samways||Sevilla/Las Palmas||73|
|Kevin Richardson||Real Sociedad||37|
|Michael Owen||Real Madrid||36|
|Dalian Atkinson||Real Sociedad||29|
|Laurie Cunningham||Real Madrid/Sporting||28|
|Jonathan Woodgate||Real Madrid||9|
|Mark Draper||Rayo Vallecano||4|
|Harry Lowe||Real Sociedad||1|
Five have joined Los Blancos over the years (Cunningham, McManaman, Owen, Woodgate and Beckham). David Beckham has played the most LaLiga games (116) followed closely by Barça's Gary Lineker who wore the famous shirt 103 times.
Te recomendamos en English
- Covid-19 Coronavirus lock down in USA: which states and what measures have been applied?
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid in talks with players over salary cuts
- Coronavirus Gerardo Martino “We are lucky to have high salaries so we must be supportive”
- FIFA Blatter denies bribery allegations in awarding of 2018 and 2022 World Cups
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Barcelona planning raid on Bernabéu for Gelabert
- Barcelona Messi's Barcelona exit would not be 'a drama' for LaLiga, says Tebas