Spanish FA open case against Barcelona and Griezmann
The RFEF have opened proceedings against Barcelona after a complaint was lodged by Atlético Madrid regarding the transfer of Antoine Griezmann, according to Spanish reports.
The Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) has opened proceedings against Barcelona after Atlético Madrid lodged a complaint in relation to the transfer of Antoine Griezmann, according to Spanish reports.
Barça announced the much anticipated signing of the French striker last Friday, after his lawyers deposited the 120 million euros to cover his buyout clause into Atlético’s account on Friday morning.
However minutes after the announcement, Atléti released a statement in which it demanded that Barcelona pay 200 million euros for the Frenchman, claiming that Griezmann and the Camp Nou board had secretly come to an agreement back in March before his release clause had dropped from €200 million to €120 million on 1 July.
"Atlético Madrid understand that the contract was broken before the end of last season, on the basis of the facts, actions and statements of the player and the club has therefore started the proceedings it considers appropriate to defend its legitimate rights and interests,” read the club statement.
RFEF enters into Barca-Atlético dispute over Griezmann
Atlético’s chairman Enrique Cerezo subsequently took the matter to the RFEF, claiming that Barcelona and Griezmann breached the Federation rules by signing a deal in March. And now the Spanish football governing body will begin an investigation to determine whether there was any wrongdoing on the part of Barcelona in its signing of the French striker, according to Spanish news outlet, iusport.
Prior to Atlético filing a complaint with the RFEF, the club reported Griezmann and their LaLiga rivals to FIFA in a bid to ensure the appropriate legal proceedings are taken.
The case has provoked a very sour farewell between Atléti and Griezmann, whose plaque on the Legends Walkway outside the Wanda Metropolitano stadium (which commemorates players to have made over 100 appearances for the club) was defaced by angry fans last week.
Te recomendamos en English
- LALIGA Granada lead LaLiga on the back of famous Barça win
- Juventus 2-1 Verona Juventus: Buffon matches Maldini appearance record
- SERIE A Inter take the spoils in Milan derby and leapfrog Juventus
- Watford 8-0 Manchester City Watford "scared" of City says Flores after record defeat
- Juventus are a 'team under construction', says coach Sarri
- Juventus Cristiano Ronaldo: "People are stupid and talk too much"