Ajax to sign Mexico international Edson Alvarez as Matthijs de Ligt replacement
Matthijs de Ligt may have left the Eredivisie champions to join Juventus, but Ajax have moved quickly to bring in Edson Alvarez.
Ajax have confirmed they are set to sign Edson Alvarez, the defender's arrival helping to address the loss of Matthijs de Ligt.
Club captain De Ligt completed his long-awaited move to Serie A champions Juventus on Friday, as the Italians paid an initial €75m with the deal including a further €10.5m in add-ons.
Ajax have wasted no time in splashing some of the cash on 21-year-old Mexico international Alvarez, who will come in from America on a five-year deal for a reported €15m fee.
The Dutch giants, who have also lost Frenkie de Jong to Barcelona ahead of the 2019-20 campaign, confirmed central defender Alvarez will arrive subject to a medical.
Someone new is on his way... #VamosEdson— AFC Ajax (@AFCAjax) July 19, 2019
Ajax, winners of a domestic double last term as well as reaching the semi-finals of the Champions League, said in a statement Alvarez can also play at right-back or in midfield.
Alvarez is the latest new face for Erik ten Hag's side, joining players including Quincy Promes, Lisandro Magallan, Lisandro Martinez and Razvan Marin in signing for the new season.
You helped us with our dream of winning a 13th title, and now it's our turn to support you with your dreams.— Club América EN (@ClubAmerica_EN) July 19, 2019
Thank you, @EdsonAlvarez19, and here's to much success with @AFCAjax!#FlyWithUs pic.twitter.com/YEfzcAAFEQ
Te recomendamos en English
- Champions League Bayern Munich: Alaba suffers thigh tear and will miss Red Star
- Serie A Inter Milan: Conte bemoans profligacy after 1-0 win
- BARCELONA Paco Alcácer: "I was treated very badly by some people at Barcelona"
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid have the budget to sign a galáctico next summer
- RELAÑO Benzema, James, Hazard... and VAR
- Real Madrid Real Madrid: Zidane brushes off Bale's "scapegoat" claim