Lionel Messi fined and banned after Copa América incident
CONMEBOL confirmed a ban and fine for the Argentina star following his red card against Chile in the summer tournament in Brazil.
Lionel Messi has been handed a ban and fine after his red card during Argentina's Copa America win over Chile in the third-place play-off.
Messi's silly Chile red punished
Messi, 32, will serve a one-match suspension after his altercation with Gary Medel, also sent off, during Argentina's 2-1 victory earlier this month.
In a statement on Tuesday, CONMEBOL also confirmed the Barcelona star had been fined $1,500, with no appeal possible.
The single judge of the disciplinary tribunal confirmed "the automatic suspension imposed on the player Lionel Andres Messi, not agreeing on any additional suspension" while imposing the $1,500 fine.
Messi, controversially sent off, railed against "corruption" and "a lack of respect" following his red card.
His statements angered the governing body, which hit back at what it felt were "unfounded accusations".
Te recomendamos en English
- Pogba should go and Man Utd need a player with desire - Sheringham
- BUNDESLIGA Borussia Dortmund vs Bayern Munich: how and where to watch - times, TV...
- LALIGA Leganés extend next year's season tickets free of charge
- Bundesliga Lewandowski vs Haaland: battle of old vs new in Der Klassiker
- Coronavirus Stimulus check: what to do if your bank had trouble processing direct deposit?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus US: how to calculate actual unemployment rate?