Atlético demand LaLiga revoke Griezmann's playing license
The controversy over Antoine Griezmann's move rumbles on, with Atlético Madrid asking LaLiga to revoke Barcelona's licence for the striker.
Atletico Madrid have demanded LaLiga prevent Antoine Griezmann from playing for Barcelona next season, according to the Spanish top flight's president Javier Tebas.
Griezmann confirmed he would be leaving Atléti at the end of last season, despite having only signed a five-year contract at Wanda Metropolitano in June 2018 after turning down a move to Barca.
After much speculation, Barca confirmed Griezmann's signing on July 12 after paying the France forward's €120million buy-out clause.
However, Atléti have reported Barca to The Royal Spanish Football Federation (RFEF), who have subsequently opened an investigation into the transfer.
LaLiga president: "Atlético asked if we could block Griezmann's license"
Atléti claim they are owed a further €80million, on top of the €120million already paid for Griezmann, who made his Barca debut in a friendly defeat to Chelsea in Japan on Tuesday.
And LaLiga president Tebas has revealed the Madrid club have also requested the organisation block Griezmann from playing for Barca until the issue is resolved.
"Atletico wrote to us asking if we could block Griezmann's license in Barcelona," Tebas told Spanish radio station Onda Cero.
"It is possible to do it. A mechanism has been put in place and the authorities will have to resolve the situation. I have no element of judgment."
Griezmann has headlined a mass exodus from Atléti this close season, with Lucas Hernandez, Rodri, Filipe Luis, Juanfran among the first team regulars to have left.
Joao Felix was drafted in from Benfica as Griezmann's replacement, with Marcos Llorente, Felipe, Hector Herrera, Renan Lodi, Ivan Saponjic and Kieran Tripper also coming in.
Te recomendamos en English
- GEORGE FLOYS PROTESTS George Floyd death in Minneapolis, live updates: police, riots and protests across US
- GEORGE FLOYD DEATH George Floyd autopsy: no sign of traumatic asphyxia or strangling
- BUNDESLIGA Havertz’s goal-scoring form puts him in Bundesliga record books
- LALIGA La Liga clubs free to start full training from Monday
- PREMIER LEAGUE Kompany turns down offer to be Guardiola's assistant at Manchester City
- CORONAVIRUS New York state reopening: which shops, business and offices can open in phase 2?