Real Madrid's Ferland Mendy joins growing injury list
The left full-back, who joined this summer from Lyon as part of Zinedine Zidane's revolution, has had his injury confirmed, adding to Brahim and Asensio.
Zinedine Zidane's problems are growing before the season has even started. Following the sad news that he'll have to do without Marco Asensio for most of the campaign, and an injury to Brahim Diaz, French full-back Ferland Mendy has now been ruled out for a number of weeks.
Mendy could face month out
Real Madrid issued a statement on Thursday confirming that the Frenchman had suffered a muscle injury to his right calf. As is normally the case, the club did not specify how long the player is likely to be out of action, however, according to AS columnist Dr José González, the 24-year old could face being on the sidelines for between three to four weeks.
The new signing will, therefore, miss the friendly against Atlético Madrid on Saturday 27 July at the MetLife stadium in New York, the Audi Cup game against Tottenham on 30 July, and the warm-up against Red Bull Salzburg on 7 August. More importantly, he'll almost certainly not be available for the opening day of LaLiga, when Los Blancos travel to Balaidos to play Celta Vigo on 17 August. A return to action is then potentially the second game of the season, against Real Valladolid at the Santiago Bernabéu on 24 August.
With the injury to Mendy, who started the game against Arsenal, Marcelo will maintain his left-back position, with only Nacho a realistic back-up option.
Te recomendamos en English
- PSG - REAL MADRID Official: PSG's Cavani and Mbappé to miss Real Madrid game
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Liverpool are the team to beat in Europe, says Napoli coach Ancelotti
- BAYERN MUNICH Coutinho: "Bayern is more of a close-knit family than my previous clubs"
- FIFA CLUB WORLD CUP Liverpool could face Mexico's Monterrey in Club World Cup semi-final
- REAL MADRID Ødegaard: "I felt it wouldn't be good for me to go back to Real Madrid"
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Messi challenge is what Dortmund want – Reus