Arsenal's Mesut Özil and Sead Kolasinac survive armed attack
Video footage has emerged on social media showing the moment Kolasinac fights off the motorcyclist as Özil 'runs for his life'.
The good news is that Arsenal FC have confirmed that both players are fine but it must have been a scary moment at the time. As the two stars returned to London after their pre-season tour in the US, the Mercedes G-Class SUV of Özil was followed and then set upon by men on mopeds wearing helmuts.
Arsenal's Özil 'runs for his life'
According to reports in the UK, the German international abandoned his vehicle in the middle of the street and dashed into Likya, a Turkish restaurant that he frequented. Police were called and were on the scene with minutes.
One eye witness accounts reported by the Daily Mail stated that Özil had "looked absolutely terrified" and that he was "running for his life". The witness went on to say: "God knows what would have happened if they'd caught him. It looked to me like he'd have been hacked to shreds and he clearly thought so too."
The incredible scenes captured on video show Özil's teammate stand up to the assailant despite him having a weapon. And the imposing full-back, who also represents the Bosnia and Herzegovina national team, seemed to scare them off.
🎥: A video emerging of someone trying to steal Mesut Özil’s car. Kolasinac jumps out and backs the fight.— WorldwideArsenal™ (@WorldwideAFC) July 25, 2019
Knife attacks in England, and especially in London, has been on the rise in recent months.
Te recomendamos en English
- Brazil vs Argentina Brazil vs Argentina: most valuable starting XIs
- Brazil Messi, Ronaldo, Neymar: Pelé picks his preferred partner
- Barcelona Barcelona: Luis Suárez says Camp Nou need to find a new striker
- PSG Mbappé: PSG star to ignore Real Madrid and stay in Paris
- International football Maradona, Pelé: Brazil Argentina all-time best combined XI
- International Friendly Gaza violence puts Argentina-Uruguay friendly under threat