Neymar rape investigation closed by Brazilian police
Neymar denied an accusation of rape made by a Brazilian woman in May and Sao Paulo police have not found enough evidence to bring charges.
Police probing rape allegations against Paris Saint-Germain star Neymar announced they have closed their investigation due to a lack of evidence.
Investigators at the Sao Paulo police station where a Brazilian woman made the accusation in May confirmed on Tuesday the case has been passed to public prosecutors, who have 15 days to make an evaluation and final decision.
"I concluded the investigation yesterday. I did not see enough elements to indict," Sao Paulo police investigator Juliana Lopes Bussacos said in a press conference.
GLOBO:— Brasil Football 🇧🇷 (@BrasilEdition) July 29, 2019
The Brazilian police have terminated the investigation of rape and assault charges against Neymar Jr, he will not be indicted for any crime. pic.twitter.com/XkanYYkoao
Neymar has always denied allegations
Neymar has vehemently denied claims he raped the alleged victim in a Paris hotel room on May 15.
The woman claims she exchanged messages with the 27-year-old on social media before meeting him at the Sofitel Paris Arc Du Triomphe.
She said she returned to Brazil two days later but was too emotionally shaken to report the incident until May 31.
Neymar subsequently posted an Instagram video in which he claimed the allegations were part of an extortion attempt.
The case came to light shortly before the Copa America, which the Brazil international missed due to an ankle injury.
His club career is shrouded in uncertainty, with the forward eager to leave PSG amid reported interest from former club Barcelona.
Te recomendamos en English
- coronavirus stimulus checks What have Republicans said about a second stimulus check?
- CORONAVIRUS Unemployment benefits: can you still get them if you are fired?
- US election 2020 Election US 2020: who are the top economic officials named by Biden?
- LIGA MX Miguel Herrera to continue as the head coach of Club América
- BOXING Tyson admits to smoking a joint ahead of Roy Jones fight
- Football Aspetar to host sports medicine forum until Qatar 2022