Joao Felix: "I would like to be like Cristiano"
Atlético Madrid's record signing Joao Felix hopes to emulate compatriot Cristiano Ronaldo after moving to LaLiga.
Joao Felix wants to follow in Cristiano Ronaldo's footsteps by winning the Ballon d'Or.
The 19-year-old became Atlético Madrid's record signing after they paid €126million to sign him from Benfica earlier this month.
Joao Felix made his name in the Primeira Liga and Europa League last term, then teamed up with Ronaldo as Portugal triumphed in the Nations League.
The attacker will be tasked with replacing Antoine Griezmann at Atlético, the France forward having finally completed a long-mooted switch to Barcelona.
Joao Felix eyeing Ballon d'Or glory
And Joao Felix is hoping to emulate Ronaldo, who collected four Champions League titles after joining Real Madrid from Manchester United in 2009 and has five Ballons d'Or to his name.
"Cristiano Ronaldo has won five Ballon d'Or trophies and this is the dream of every player," Joao Felix told ESPN.
"Obviously, I would like to be like Cristiano."
Paulo Futre, Simao and Tiago are among the Portuguese players to have starred at Atlético.
But Joao Felix said it was the club's record of developing strikers – including Radamel Falcao, Diego Forlan, Fernando Torres and Griezmann – that persuaded him to move to the Wanda Metropolitano.
"I saw the strikers that Atletico had and they were great players, great strikers," he said.
"I want to be one more and this is why I choose to come here."
Te recomendamos en English
- Champions League Champions League draw: who can play who?
- EURO 2020 Spain to host Cristiano's Portugal in final Euro 2020 warm-up
- Carvajal tells Mbappe: The best play for Real Madrid
- LIVERPOOL Minamino: RB Salzburg confirm Liverpool talks for midfielder
- Champions League Juventus: Sarri eager to face José Mourinho in Champions League
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Carvajal up for Mbappé move and Cristiano final