Mariano's stock rises as Jovic falls behind
The academy product came on against Fenerbahce and was a large reason why they could grapple control of the game and the victory from the Turkish side.
There were very few players who took advantage of their minutes on the field for Real Madrid at the Audi Cup. But one player who did is Mariano. The academy player, who is not in Zidane's plans, did well for the third and fifth goals against Fenerbahce on Wednesday by scoring the last and assisting with the third.
Mariano didn't have any opportunities under Zidane during the entire tour of the United States. On Tuesday, however, he came on after 79 minutes and caused problems for Spurs with his movement and desire to get on the ball in the penalty area. On Wednesday, he made a case to take Jovic's spot in the squad.
He is the only striker, along with Benzema, to score during Real Madrid's preseason tour.
Jovic not off to the best start
"It's the same," he said when asked about Mariano's future. Zidane said anything can happen until August 31 though. Mariano has offers from Roma and Monaco and he is resigned to leaving, but the goal and his willingness might change that.
The new arrival, Jovic, has left some doubts since his arrival. He was sacrificed against Arsenal after Nacho's red card and he was off injured against Atlético before he could get going. The rough start and bad luck has not helped with his integration into the team.
Mariano on the other hand is ready and waiting for more chances. Only time will tell if he can change Zidane's mind.
Te recomendamos en English
- LALIGA Real Sociedad vs Barcelona, how and where to watch: times, TV, online
- Coutinho 'on the right track', says Bayern Munich coach Flick
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool: Dejan Lovren could be out until the New Year
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool: James Milner thrilled with new contract extension
- Lampard won't discuss future with out-of-contract players until January
- PREMIER LEAGUE Lampard: "I know Pulisic has a lot more to give to Chelsea"