Arsenal confirm signing of Nicolas Pepe from Lille
Emery says adding a winger was a key objective in the transfer market for Arsenal and they have done that with the club's most expensive ever signing.
Arsenal have announced the signing of Nicolas Pepe from Lille on a five-year deal. The 24-year-old will wear the number 19 at his new club after leaving Ligue 1 for €80 million. The deal had already been confirmed by the French club's president before Arsenal made it official on Thursday.
The Ivorian played in 80 games for Lille scoring 37 goals and adding 18 assists. He becomes Arsenal's most expensive transfer after Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang and Alexandre Lacazette's arrivals last summer for €63 million and €53 million respectively.
"Nicolas is a highly-rated and talented winger who was wanted by many of the top teams in Europe," Unai Emery said upon his arrival.
"Signing a top-class winger has been one of our key objectives in this transfer window and I'm delighted he's joining. He will add pace, power and creativity, with the aim of bringing more goals to our team."
Pepe is Arsenal's fourth signing of the summer after the arrivals of William Salida, Gabriel Martinelli on permanent deals with Dani Ceballos signing on loan from Real Madrid.
Arsenal fought off interest from Napoli and other European clubs for the signing of the former Angers, Orleans and Lille player.
Te recomendamos en English
- Football Real Madrid, Barça and Juventus issue joint statement denouncing 'threats'
- REAL MADRID Ramos out of crucial Real Madrid match against Sevilla
- LALIGA When was Barcelona's last defeat to Atlético Madrid at Camp Nou?
- Premier League Leeds United vs Tottenham: Premier League live
- BARCELONA Barcelona attempt to sign De Ligt for a second time
- 2022 World Cup Five key sustainability features connected with Qatar 2022