Wague promoted to Barcelona's first team
Nelson Semedo and Sergi Roberto are set to face competition for the Barcelona right-back berth from Moussa Wague.
Barcelona have promoted Senegalese defender Moussa Wague to their first-team squad ahead of the new season.
The right-back joins Ernesto Valverde's group on a permanent basis after breaking through for his LaLiga debut in April.
Wague joined the club from Belgian side Eupen last year and made 20 appearances for Barca's reserves in Segunda B, the third tier of Spanish football.
He has been given the number 16 shirt formerly worn by Xavi and Sergio Busquets and will rival Nelson Semedo and Sergi Roberto for a starting berth.
The 20-year-old represented Senegal at the 2018 World Cup, scoring in a 2-2 draw against Japan, and was part of the team that reached the Africa Cup of Nations final in July.
Barca face Arsenal in the Joan Gamper Trophy at Camp Nou and Napoli in two friendlies in the United States before their LaLiga campaign begins away to Athletic Bilbao on August 16.
Te recomendamos en English
- WORLD CUP 2022 Fourth World Cup stadium ready for inauguration on 18 December
- PREMIER LEAGUE Premier League: Jota makes Liverpool history, Arsenal draw another blank
- premier league Klopp cheers Firmino display as Liverpool set new club record
- NBA LeBron James' Los Angeles Lakers set to sign Marc Gasol – reports
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Messi is an extravagance which Barça can no longer afford
- US Election 2020 US Election 2020: why are Trump’s legal challenges continuing despite Georgia being certified for Biden?