Wague promoted to Barcelona's first team
Nelson Semedo and Sergi Roberto are set to face competition for the Barcelona right-back berth from Moussa Wague.
Barcelona have promoted Senegalese defender Moussa Wague to their first-team squad ahead of the new season.
The right-back joins Ernesto Valverde's group on a permanent basis after breaking through for his LaLiga debut in April.
Wague joined the club from Belgian side Eupen last year and made 20 appearances for Barca's reserves in Segunda B, the third tier of Spanish football.
He has been given the number 16 shirt formerly worn by Xavi and Sergio Busquets and will rival Nelson Semedo and Sergi Roberto for a starting berth.
The 20-year-old represented Senegal at the 2018 World Cup, scoring in a 2-2 draw against Japan, and was part of the team that reached the Africa Cup of Nations final in July.
Barca face Arsenal in the Joan Gamper Trophy at Camp Nou and Napoli in two friendlies in the United States before their LaLiga campaign begins away to Athletic Bilbao on August 16.
Te recomendamos en English
- LaLiga Camp Nou closure threat over Griezmann signing case
- Messi eyes Raul record, Mane out to go level with Drogba - Champions League in Opta numbers
- Champions League Napoli 'cheeky bastards' with two number sixes, jokes Klopp
- PSG - REAL MADRID Official: PSG's Cavani and Mbappé to miss Real Madrid game
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Liverpool are the team to beat in Europe, says Napoli coach Ancelotti
- BAYERN MUNICH Coutinho: "Bayern is more of a close-knit family than my previous clubs"