Everton bring in Mainz midfielder Gbamin as Gueye replacement
Everton sold Idrissa Gueye to Paris Saint-Germain on Tuesday, and have moved swiftly to bring in Jean-Philippe Gbamin from Mainz.
Everton have confirmed the signing of Jean-Philippe Gbamin from Bundesliga club Mainz for an undisclosed fee reported to be £25million. Idrissa Gueye's transfer to Paris Saint-Germain on Tuesday left a void in Everton's midfield, with boss Marco Silva having previously confirmed the club would need a replacement lined up if the Senegal international were to leave. Despite links to Southampton's Mario Lemina, it is Gbamin who has been brought in, with the 23-year-old agreeing a five-year deal at Goodison Park.
"It's a big moment with a lot of emotion and now it’s on me to prove on the pitch why they bought me," Gbamin told Everton's website. "I'm excited because Everton is a great club here in England with a big history and ambition so I didn't think for more than a moment - I wanted to come here."
Gbamin, who joined Mainz from Lens in 2016, made 31 appearances in the Bundesliga last season, scoring twice. The Ivory Coast international is also capable of playing at right-back and centre-back, and becomes Everton's fourth signing of the pre-season after Jonas Lossl, André Gomes and Fabian Delph.
Everton look set to make a fifth addition in the coming days, with Juventus striker Moise Kean reportedly due to undergo a medical on Saturday ahead of a proposed £29million move from the Serie A champions.
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Second Stimulus Check: Senate returns to discuss approval of the second stimulus payment amid protest
- George Floyd Protests As riots increase in New York curfew hours have changed
- Coronavirus Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news, today
- George Floyd George Floyd: George W. Bush speaks out on racism and protests in US
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus US live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks today
- Coronavirus Second stimulus check: Is there a deadline to approve a second payment?