"If I were Van de Beek, I'd go to Madrid on a bicycle"
Former Ajax and Real Madrid player Rafael van der Vaart has said that "it is an ideal time" for Donny van de Beek to make the move to the Bernabéu.
As talk intensifies linking Donny Van de Beek with a move to Real Madrid should the club fail to secure Paul Pogba, former Ajax and Madrid player Rafael van der Vaart has spoken about the prospect of his young compatriot at the Santiago Bernabéu.
When asked about Van de Beek on Dutch Channel NOS, for whom he works as a pundit, Van der Vaart said: “Of he would sign for Real. If I were him, I'd even go to Madrid on a bicycle.”
After Van de Beek himself confirmed Madrid's interest in signing him, Van der Vaart added that he believed "it is an ideal time to go to Real”, although he would likely see less game time than he does at Ajax.
“They have had a bad preseason and fans expect a signing,” said the retired footballer, who now makes his living as a professional darts player.
“He will have his minutes, but the competition is huge at Madrid. His situation will change a lot with respect to Ajax, but Real Madrid fits well with his capacities.”
Van de Beek would be “very much loved” at Real Madrid
Alongside Frenkie De Jong and Matthijs De Ligt, Van de Beek played a starring role in Ajax’s road to the Champions League semi-final last season. And Van der Vaart believes the 22-year-old midfielder has shown enough merit to make the jump to Madrid.
“I think Donny deserves to go there and he has a great chance of succeeding,” he said. “He played superb in the Champions League last season and they know who he is. He is a normal, hardworking lad and would be very-much loved.”
Te recomendamos en English
- Liga MX FMF could disaffiliate Cruz Azul due to the Treasury investigation
- CORONAVIRUS USA New York state reopening: which regions are passing to phase 2?
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus US live updates: cases, deaths and stimulus checks today
- CORONAVIRUS New York state reopening: Gov Cuomo explains when and how
- CORONAVIRUS Coronavirus India live updates: cases, deaths and news, today
- Coronavirus What to do if your stimulus check was sent to the wrong address?