Barcelona: Neymar must talk - Piqué hopes star returns to club
Neymar must speak amid reports of a Barcelona return from Paris Saint-Germain, according to Gerard Piqué.
Gerard Piqué told Neymar to speak if he wants to return to Barcelona as the defender said a deal for the Paris Saint-Germain star was "complicated".
Neymar is expected to leave the Ligue 1 champions this close season, with Barça - the club he left in a world-record 222-million-euro deal two years ago - said to be interested.
"I would be delighted to have him here"
Piqué would like to see the Brazil forward return to Camp Nou, but accepts it will be hard to complete a deal for the 27-year-old, urging him to speak.
"I think the operation is very complicated. He is a PSG player," he told a news conference on Tuesday.
"I would be delighted to have him here, although it has to be Neymar who says something publicly. Of course we talk to him, but it is not appropriate to discuss private conversations.
"It is he who has to come out to talk. He is a star on and off the field."
@3gerardpique on Neymar Jr's possible return: "He's a great player who knows the dressing room, the city, and the Club. It's a complicated transaction and it must be he who decides." pic.twitter.com/hOayiqY5UJ— FC Barcelona (@FCBarcelona) August 6, 2019
Piqué welcomes Griezmann arrival at Camp Nou
Even without Neymar, Barcelona have added the likes of Frenkie de Jong and Antoine Griezmann to their squad from Ajax and Atlético Madrid respectively.
Piqué, whose team face Napoli in a friendly in Florida on Wednesday, praised Griezmann and hopes the forward can deliver at Camp Nou.
"Griezmann is a great player and it's good to have him with us," the centre-back said. "We hope he adapts well and can help us win games."
Te recomendamos en English
- SERIE A Mario Balotelli joins hometown club Brescia on a free
- PREMIER LEAGUE Kevin De Bruyne: "I feel good and I'm still getting better"
- BARCELONA Víctor Valdés pulls Barcelona Under-19s out of Everton game for health concerns
- ENGLAND Ashley Cole retires from football: his career in numbers
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid steal a march on Barcelona in the race for Neymar
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid still have not confirmed that the Trofeo Bernabéu will not go ahead this year