Bale, James Rodríguez left behind by Zidane as Real head to Austria
The Welshman and the Colombian, along with Mariano, have been left out of the list to travel to Austria. Modric is injured but Militão and Casemiro return.
Real Madrid manager Zinedine Zidane has announced his squad for the pre-season friendly against RB Salzburg and has omitted Gareth Bale, James Rodríguez and Mariano Díaz, the three players the Frenchman is keenest to offload before the season starts.
Time is running short for Zidane, with the Premier League transfer window closing on 9 August and Serie A following suit on 18 August. There have been no concrete offers for Bale but a last-ditch loan deal remains an option whereas James has been consistently linked with a move to Napoli.
Shifting Mariano may be a more difficult take still after a largely underwhelming season, albeit one in which he showed flashes of the goal-scoring eye that prompted Madrid to buy him back from Lyon in the first place. The Ligue 1 club have yet to make any sort of inquiry but could be on the lookout for reinforcements and the forward is a known quantity in the French top flight, which might interest Lille or Marseille. Ligue 1 clubs have until September 2 to conduct their business.
As concerns Zidane’s squad for the friendly in Austria, Andriy Lunin officially takes up his place as Real’s third-choice keeper, replacing Zidane’s son Luca, with Éder Militão included for the first time as he prepares for his first run-out in the white shirt. Castilla graduate Óscar de la Fuente also makes the trip.
Zidane has only four midfielders available – Toni Kroos, Fede Valverde, Isco and Casemiro - but has plenty of attacking options with Karim Benzema, Lucas Vázquez, Luca Jovic, Vinicius and Eden Hazard all making the trip.
Luka Modric misses out with a minor niggle while youngsters Rodrygo and Take Kubo jave been included in the Castilla squad to play Alcorcón on Wednesday evening.
Real Madrid squad for Salzburg
Keepers: Navas, Courtois, Lunin.
Defenders: Carvajal, Militão, Ramos, Varane, Nacho, Marcelo, Odriozola, De la Fuente.
Midfielders: Kroos, Casemiro, Valverde, Isco.
Forwards: Benzema, Lucas Vázquez, Jovic, Vincius, Hazard.
Te recomendamos en English
- TOKYO OLYMPICS Tokyo Olympics cancellation remains an option, says top Japanese politician
- NBA Dallas' Doncic on game-winning three-pointer: "Those are the best feelings ever"
- US NEWS A new proposal to revamp unemployment systems and increase benefits announced
- DEREK CHAUVIN TRIAL Derek Chauvin pleads the Fifth Amendment: what is it, and what are the defendant’s rights when they invoke it?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Veteran third stimulus check: when is it arriving & how much?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Fourth stimulus check: why could it be unlikely?