Lukaku takes Icardi's number nine shirt at Inter
Romelu Lukaku has been handed the shirt number the striker would have wanted after his club-record arrival at Inter from Manchester United.
Romelu Lukaku has been handed the number nine shirt by Inter in a move that further suggests Mauro Icardi is on his way out of San Siro.
The Belgium striker completed a protracted club-record transfer to Inter from Manchester United on Thursday for a fee understood to be €80million (£73m).
He is considered a direct replacement for Icardi, who mutually agreed to withdraw from Inter's recent pre-season tour of Asia as he continues to seek a new club.
Icardi, linked with Juventus and Napoli, had played with the number nine on his back since arriving at the Serie A side in 2013.
Lukaku joins prestigous list of Inter '9's
Diego Forlan, Samuel Eto'o, Julio Cruz, Hernan Crespo, Ronaldo and Ivan Zamorano have also had the same shirt number over the past two decades.
Lukaku could make his Inter debut in Saturday's pre-season friendly against Valencia.
Te recomendamos en English
- FOOTBALL Pochettino hopeful of having Neymar available for Coupe de France final
- BARCELONA Barcelona secure 500 million euro loan from Goldman Sachs
- CHILD TAX CREDIT Child Tax Credit 2021: is there a maximum number of children who can receive payments?
- Champions League Manchester City to pay fans' travel costs for Champions League final
- PREMIER LEAGUE Manchester United vs Fulham: live
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Barcelona's Champions League win boosts women's football in Spain