Lukaku takes Icardi's number nine shirt at Inter
Romelu Lukaku has been handed the shirt number the striker would have wanted after his club-record arrival at Inter from Manchester United.
Romelu Lukaku has been handed the number nine shirt by Inter in a move that further suggests Mauro Icardi is on his way out of San Siro.
The Belgium striker completed a protracted club-record transfer to Inter from Manchester United on Thursday for a fee understood to be €80million (£73m).
He is considered a direct replacement for Icardi, who mutually agreed to withdraw from Inter's recent pre-season tour of Asia as he continues to seek a new club.
Icardi, linked with Juventus and Napoli, had played with the number nine on his back since arriving at the Serie A side in 2013.
Lukaku joins prestigous list of Inter '9's
Diego Forlan, Samuel Eto'o, Julio Cruz, Hernan Crespo, Ronaldo and Ivan Zamorano have also had the same shirt number over the past two decades.
Lukaku could make his Inter debut in Saturday's pre-season friendly against Valencia.
Te recomendamos en English
- RUSSIA Russia banned from Olympics and World Cup 2022 over doping scandal
- El CLÁSICO | BARCELONA - REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Zidane's headache - how to stop Messi in El Clásico... 3 possible solutions
- BARCELONA Messi impossible to replace - Barcelona president
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Casemiro must avoid getting booked against Valencia
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Barcelona, Inter set to discuss Rakitic, Vidal and Lautaro Martínez in Milan
- Barcelona 'cannot afford' to lose Vidal in January, says Blaugrana president Bartomeu