Özil and Kolasinac out after "further security incidents"
Police are investigating "further security incidents" relating to Mesut Özil and Sead Kolasinac,who will not play for Arsenal at Newcastle on Sunday.
Mesut Özil and Sead Kolasinac will be absent from Arsenal's Premier League opener against Newcastle United on Sunday due to security fears.
Footage of the incident showed Kolasinac confronting and scaring off two masked attackers who approached a vehicle driven by Özil, just days before the clash with Lyon at Emirates Stadium.
After missing that match and a friendly against Angers, with Unai Emery saying they were not mentally ready to play, the duo returned for the 2-1 Joan Gamper Trophy loss to Barcelona last Sunday.
However, they will not be available this weekend after "further security incidents".
Police investigating Özil and Kolasinac "security incidents"
An Arsenal statement read: "Mesut Özil and Sead Kolasinac will not be part of the squad for our opening match against Newcastle United following further security incidents which are being investigated by the police.
"The welfare of our players and their families is always a top priority and we have taken this decision following discussion with the players and their representatives.
"We are liaising with the police and are providing the players and their families with ongoing support.
"We look forward to welcoming the players back to the squad as soon as possible."
Te recomendamos en English
- Coronavirus Nigeria's Air Peace sacks 69 pilots due to Covid-19 pandemic
- US Open Rafa Nadal pulls out of the US Open
- Premier League Continental competition returns for four Premier League clubs
- Social media When is TikTok getting banned in America?
- Champions League and Europa League return: Where is it happening and how will it work?
- Madrid Open cancelled due to coronavirus