Özil and Kolasinac out after "further security incidents"
Police are investigating "further security incidents" relating to Mesut Özil and Sead Kolasinac,who will not play for Arsenal at Newcastle on Sunday.
Mesut Özil and Sead Kolasinac will be absent from Arsenal's Premier League opener against Newcastle United on Sunday due to security fears.
Footage of the incident showed Kolasinac confronting and scaring off two masked attackers who approached a vehicle driven by Özil, just days before the clash with Lyon at Emirates Stadium.
After missing that match and a friendly against Angers, with Unai Emery saying they were not mentally ready to play, the duo returned for the 2-1 Joan Gamper Trophy loss to Barcelona last Sunday.
However, they will not be available this weekend after "further security incidents".
Police investigating Özil and Kolasinac "security incidents"
An Arsenal statement read: "Mesut Özil and Sead Kolasinac will not be part of the squad for our opening match against Newcastle United following further security incidents which are being investigated by the police.
"The welfare of our players and their families is always a top priority and we have taken this decision following discussion with the players and their representatives.
"We are liaising with the police and are providing the players and their families with ongoing support.
"We look forward to welcoming the players back to the squad as soon as possible."
Te recomendamos en English
- UEFA | EUROPA LEAGUE Europa League 2020/21 round of 16 draw: as it happened
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool: Henderson out until April after surgery on injury
- NFL NFL: Wilson hasn't demanded trade from Seattle Seahawks, says agent
- NBA NBA: Irving, Harden inspire Brooklyn Nets to eighth win in a row
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when it's coming, $1400 payments, IRS tax refund, House vote | Live
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Third stimulus check: what time is the vote in the House?