Liverpool: Van Dijk backs Adrián while Alisson is out
Adrián San Miguel's six seasons at West Ham have prepared him for a place in Liverpool's starting side, according to centre-back Virgil van Dijk.
Virgil van Dijk believes goalkeeper Adrián San Miguel's extensive Premier League experience will help him easily adjust to replacing the injured Alisson at Liverpool.
Waiting for Alisson
The Reds are awaiting the results of a scan after their first-choice keeper injured his calf muscle in Friday's season-opening victory over Norwich City. Early indications suggest that the Brazilian could be out for between four to six weeks. Jürgen Klopp admitted the problem "does not look too good" and ruled the Brazil international out of the UEFA Super Cup against Chelsea in Istanbul on Wednesday. A prolonged absence would heighten the pressure on deputy Adrián, who left West Ham on a free at the end of last season after making 150 appearances in all competitions.
The 32-year-old only joined Liverpool four days before his debut but defender Van Dijk says his new team-mate is up to the challenge. "I think he's at that kind of age, that stage of his life and career that he can come in and slot in to the team pretty easy," the Dutch centre-back told reporters. "He's been through so many things in the Premier League he can just slot in pretty easy."
Adrián gets ovation on Liverpool debut
Liverpool could be forced to tinker with their playing style if Adrián is thrust into the starting XI for an extended period. Alisson started every Premier League match last season and generates attacking moves with his ability to pass out from the back. "He's very important for us, but I have no idea what the actual damage is," Van Dijk said. "We'll see over the next days what the outcome is going to be. We have to deal with it and we're going to deal with it."
Te recomendamos en English
- BOXING Jake Paul: Mayweather "doesn't want to risk record" against me
- REPUBLICAN PARTY What did Liz Cheney say in her speech to the House and why has she been removed from Party leadership?
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECKS Can you lose stimulus checks if you don't file taxes before 2021 deadline?
- NBA LeBron nearing return, but will remain sidelined tonight
- NBA NBA Play-In 2021: can teams from different conferences face each other?
- BOXING How is Mayweather family life? Wife, sons, daughters