Liverpool: Van Dijk backs Adrián while Alisson is out
Adrián San Miguel's six seasons at West Ham have prepared him for a place in Liverpool's starting side, according to centre-back Virgil van Dijk.
Virgil van Dijk believes goalkeeper Adrián San Miguel's extensive Premier League experience will help him easily adjust to replacing the injured Alisson at Liverpool.
Waiting for Alisson
The Reds are awaiting the results of a scan after their first-choice keeper injured his calf muscle in Friday's season-opening victory over Norwich City. Early indications suggest that the Brazilian could be out for between four to six weeks. Jürgen Klopp admitted the problem "does not look too good" and ruled the Brazil international out of the UEFA Super Cup against Chelsea in Istanbul on Wednesday. A prolonged absence would heighten the pressure on deputy Adrián, who left West Ham on a free at the end of last season after making 150 appearances in all competitions.
The 32-year-old only joined Liverpool four days before his debut but defender Van Dijk says his new team-mate is up to the challenge. "I think he's at that kind of age, that stage of his life and career that he can come in and slot in to the team pretty easy," the Dutch centre-back told reporters. "He's been through so many things in the Premier League he can just slot in pretty easy."
Adrián gets ovation on Liverpool debut
Liverpool could be forced to tinker with their playing style if Adrián is thrust into the starting XI for an extended period. Alisson started every Premier League match last season and generates attacking moves with his ability to pass out from the back. "He's very important for us, but I have no idea what the actual damage is," Van Dijk said. "We'll see over the next days what the outcome is going to be. We have to deal with it and we're going to deal with it."
Te recomendamos en English
- Premier League Iván Zamorano: “Raúl Jiménez is as good or even better than Karim Benzema”
- Coronavirus Coronavirus: US citizens buying more guns amid pandemic
- Coronavirus USA Coronavirus: how will stimulus checks work in the United States?
- Coronavirus Coronavirus: Bill Gates told Rafa Nadal Covid-19 pandemic would become "complicated"
- CORONAVIRUS | INDIA How to apply for Delhi curfew passes online?
- REAL MADRID Racing president: "Lautaro turned down Madrid when he was 18"