Real Madrid bottom of 2019/20 LaLiga 'pre-season table'
Zinedine Zidane's Real Madrid have endured such an underwhelming summer period that they have accrued the lowest points-per-game total of LaLiga's 20 clubs.
Sunday's 2-2 draw against Roma rounded off what has been a hugely disappointing pre-season for Real Madrid, who have won just two matches out of seven during the period. Indeed, their summer has been so underwhelming that their results were, on average, the worst of all 20 2019/20 LaLiga clubs.
If the system of three points for a win and one for a draw is applied to every summer fixture played (penalty shoot-outs used to settled games are not taken into account), Madrid's overall return of two victories, two stalemates and three defeats earns them a total of eight points, at an average of 1.14 per match.
Meanwhile, major domestic rivals Barcelona and Atlético Madrid won all but one of their matches (Barça lost to Chelsea, Atleti drew with Chivas), leaving both far higher up the pre-season table: Los Rojiblancos sit second with an average of 2.67 points, while the Catalans' 2.40 puts them seventh.
Granada come out on top after seven wins out of seven
Having registered a 100% record in their seven clashes against Reading, Jaén, Alcorcón, Almería, Real Valladolid, Las Palmas and Sevilla - conceding just twice in the process - it is newly-promoted Granada who come out top of the pile. Only Atlético, Leganés and Espanyol have also remained unbeaten.
2019/20 LaLiga clubs' summer results
*Espanyol's fixtures include three 2019/20 Europa League qualifiers, with Los Pericos still to play their third-round second leg.
When comparing clubs' pre-season results, one must evidently allow for factors such as the varying difficulty of clubs' summer opponents, the differing travel commitments that teams have had to fulfil, and the unavailability of players on extended, post-international tournament holidays.
Nonetheless, Madrid's position at the bottom of this ranking offers a clear indication that, with a LaLiga opener at Celta Vigo awaiting them on Saturday, they head into the new season on the back of preparations that have been far from successful.
Te recomendamos en English
- LIGA MX Club América retain second place after victory against Tigres UANL
- Real Madrid 2-1 Barcelona Real Madrid: Benzema matches Cristiano Ronaldo scoring run
- REAL MADRID 2-1 BARCELONA El Clásico: "Mendy fouled Braithwaite, it's a penalty" - Iturralde
- REAL MADRID 2-1 BARCELONA Piqué confronts Gil Manzano, Modric ticks him off: "You've been waiting just to have a go at the ref"
- BARCELONA Barcelona still optimistic about title hopes despite Real Madrid defeat, says Koeman
- COVID-19 VACCINATION Publix Vaccine: how to sign up and get an appointment