Real Madrid round-up: Ramos, Van de Beek, Kubo, Benzema...
In today's Real Madrid round-up: Ramos returns, Van de Beek staying put, Valladolid quash Kubo rumours, and Benzema subject of new documentary special.
Ramos set to return for Celta clash
Sergio Ramos sat out last Sunday’s game against Roma due to a minor injury, but the Real Madrid captain is hoping to be back to full fitness for Los Blancos opening LaLiga clash away to Celta Vigo on Sunday.
If Zinedine Zidane decides to continue with his new system with three central defenders, Ramos will start alongside Raphael Varane and Eder Militao. If the French coach resorts to the older system with four across the backline, Militao will likely be the one left on the bench.
Overmars: “I think Van de Beek will stay
As hope began to diminish around the signing of Paul Pogba, Ajax midfielder Donny van de Beek emerged as a possible ‘Plan B’. But with United closing the door once-and-for-all on Pogba’s exit from Old Trafford (at least for this season), Ajax sporting director Marc Overmars has expressed his confidence that Van de Beek will also be staying put for another year.
“I think Van de Beek will stay with us. It won’t take long before we know it for sure, but I hope that everything will go well. We’re not searching for other players,” said Overmars.
‘Plan C’ it is then: Neymar
Kubo not going to Valladolid
Teenage Japanese sensation Takefusa Kubo was one of the bright spots to emerge from Madrid’s dull pre-season. But the youngster looks set to spend the season continuing his development under Raúl with Real Madrid Castilla, along with fellow starlet Rodrygo.
Recent reports in the Spanish press suggested that the Japanese midfielder and his team mate, goalkeeper Andriy Lunin (who reportedly struck up quite a friendship during the pre-season) could be set for a loan spell at Ronaldo Nazario’s Valladolid.
However, Valladolid sporting director Miguel Ángel Gómez has quashed those rumours, saying: “Kubo is a quality player, he’s tremendous but belongs to Real Madrid. As of today there is nothing with the player.”
Karim Benzema will be the latest Real Madrid player to have a documentary special after captain Sergio Ramos, who released the first trailer of his Amazon fly-on-the-wall doc last month.
French network RMC will air Benzema, Combat 4 Etoiles (fight for four stars) on September 4, which will focus on the Real Madrid striker’s career in the Champions League. The Frenchman has won four Champions League title with Real Madrid, and is the fourth leading goal-scorer in the competition’s history with 60 goals – behind Cristiano Ronaldo (126), Lionel Messi (112) and Raúl González (71).
⭐⭐ Benzema, combat 4 étoiles ⭐⭐— RMC Sport (@RMCsport) August 12, 2019
RMC Sport s’est rendu à Madrid pour rencontrer le 4ème meilleur buteur de l’histoire de la C1, Karim Benzema.
RDV le 4 septembre à 21h sur #RMCSport1 pour un documentaire exceptionnel !
Bande annonce ➡ https://t.co/wk2wzo42CU pic.twitter.com/18tr9f9ki6
On this day: Spanish Supercup 2011
On 14 August 2011, Madrid played Barcelona in the first leg of the Spanish Supercup. Captained by Iker Casillas, Los Blancos found themselves 2-1 down at half time after having taken an early lead through Mezut Ozil. But Xabi Alonso cancelled out David Villa and Messi’s goals in the 54th minute, and the game finished 2-2.
However, Barcelona went on to lift the cup after Pep Guardiola’s side won the second leg 3-2 at Camp Nou (5-4 on aggregate), thanks to goals by Iniesta and Messi, who scored two.
Te recomendamos en English
- MAN UNITED-LIVERPOOL Mourinho says Liverpool boss Klopp 'didn't like the menu' at Man Utd
- REAL MADRID Real Madrid: Jovic concerns continue after Mallorca defeat
- PREMIER LEAGUE Rashford's goal showed all the problems with VAR - Klopp
- REAL MADRID My lovely horse: Odriozola buys a racehorse before Mallorca game
- BARCELONA Barcelona trio come to life: 13 goals between them so far
- MANCHESTER UNITED Man United chief says Glazers not selling amid reported Saudi Crown Prince interest