Aduriz: These kind of things make football so beautiful
The 38-year-old came on to win the game for Athletic against Barcelona with his first touch - a perfect scissor kick past Ter Stegen.
Aritz Aduriz is retiring at the end of this season, so when the Athletic legend came on in the 88th minute in this Friday evening's Liga opener against Barcelona, he got a huge ovation from the fans in San Mamés. But that was nothing compared to the roar that greeted him as he wheeled away a minute later having buried a scissor kick past Ter Stegen with his first touch. The goal that would see Athletic win the game.
Aduriz dedicates goal to his family
Aduriz spoke after the match in a brief TV interview:
They're the best and coping with them for an entire game is really difficult. We aimed to beat them in every area of the pitch and at the end we got the result.
The support from our fans is incredible. It's amazing to see how the get behind us, in the way they do. We're delighted to have been able to give them something to be happy about.
Everything in life has a start and a finish. I'm grateful to be able to choose to end things where I'm happiest.
Dedicated to my family and everyone who supports me. These kind of things make football so beautiful.
Te recomendamos en English
- EGYPT Mohamed Salah ruled out of Egypt games with ankle injury
- NETHERLANDS Koeman: "Depay leaving Lyon would be better for Netherlands
- ATLÉTICO MADRID "I didn't want to leave home" - Morata recalls darker days at Chelsea
- EURO 2020 Leaks of Sterling-Gomez brawl worries England boss Southgate
- ENGLAND Vardy is his own person - Chilwell on Leicester team mate's England future
- LALIGA Real Madrid oppose staging Villarreal-Atleti game in Miami