Griezmann says Barça will improve after Athletic upset
Barcelona forward Antoine Griezmann reflected on his LaLiga bow for the defending champions, which ended in a 1-0 defeat to Athletic Club.
Antoine Griezmann said LaLiga champions Barcelona will improve as the season is long following Friday's shock defeat to Athletic Club in Bilbao.
Barça opened their title defence with a late 1-0 defeat away to Athletic at San Mamés, where the holders succumbed to a late, acrobatic winner from Aritz Aduriz. The 38-year-old, who recently announced that this season would be his last, came off the bench and scored a stunning 89th-minute overhead kick to condemn Griezmann to an unhappy league debut for Barça. "We have time," Griezmann said after the match. "The season is long and we have to work towards the next game. We have to work because that's the only way we'll improve."
The €120million signing struggled to make an impact in the absence of injured captain Lionel Messi. "We lacked what costs the most in football," the France star added. "That last pass, that cross or that overlap."
Barça's defeat was compounded by an injury to veteran forward Luis Suárez, who was forced to leave the match in the first half. Suárez suffered a muscle injury just after the half-hour mark, and Griezmann said: "Let's just see how he is and if he can play against Betis".
Betis away a week on Sunday
Barça, who are seeking a third consecutive LaLiga title, will travel to Real Betis on 25 August 25.
Te recomendamos en English
- OLYMPIC GAMES USA at Tokyo Olympics 2021 live updates: medal count, athletes and results, today 23 July
- OLYMPIC GAMES Tokyo Olympics 2021 volleyball and beach volleyball schedule: dates, times, groups
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING Tokyo Olympics 2021: Team USA's swimming schedule - dates, times, strokes, events
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SWIMMING What are Katie Ledecky's stats: records, Olympic medals, titles
- OLYMPIC GAMES What are the differences between indoor volleyball and beach volleyball in the Olympics?
- OLYMPIC GAMES | SOFTBALL AND BASEBALL Which sports were pulled from the 2012 and 2016 Olympics and are returning in Tokyo 2021?