Modric sent off for stamp on Denis Suárez
The Real Madrid player was sent off after referee Estrada reviewed the foul on Denis Suárez.
Luka Modric was sent off for a stamp on Denis Suárez's heel in the 55th minute of Real Madrid's visit to Celta Vigo this Saturday afternoon.
Modric brought down Suárez
Modric brought down Denis Suárez who was attacking down the left touchline, with referee Estrada Fernández reviewing the incident on the pitchside monitor presumably after being alerted to the possible seriousness of the foul by the VAR. Having reviewed the action, Estrada gave Modric a straight red card.
That's Modric's first red card in LaLiga and only his second as a Real Madrid player, having received his marching orders in August 2014 against Atlético Madrid in the Spanish Super Cup.
AS' resident ref Eduardo Iturralde said of the sending off: "This year the referees have been strongly warned about how dangerous these kind of tackles from behind on the achilles are. They've been told to take a zero tolerance stance on these kind of challenges. That said, for me it's a bit of bad luck the challenge from Modric, who isn't looking to foul, but it's a challenge where you take an unnecessary risk which can end up being dangerous."
Kroos doubled Real Madrid's advantage
Real Madrid were leading 1-0 at that point and Celta nearly levelled from the resulting free-kick, Courtois turning over a point blank header, but despite their numerical disadvantage it was Real Madrid who scored next; Kroos hitting a superb effort from out onto the left in off the cross bar right in the top corner of Blanco's goal.
Lucas Vázquez made it 3-0 for Real Madrid in the 79th minute.
Te recomendamos en English
- UEFA | EUROPA LEAGUE Europa League 2020/21 round of 16 draw: as it happened
- PREMIER LEAGUE Liverpool: Henderson out until April after surgery on injury
- NFL NFL: Wilson hasn't demanded trade from Seattle Seahawks, says agent
- NBA NBA: Irving, Harden inspire Brooklyn Nets to eighth win in a row
- US NEWS Third stimulus check updates today: when it's coming, $1400 payments, IRS tax refund, House vote | Live
- CORONAVIRUS STIMULUS CHECK Third stimulus check: what time is the vote in the House?