Modric sent off for stamp on Denis Suárez
The Real Madrid player was sent off after referee Estrada reviewed the foul on Denis Suárez.
Luka Modric was sent off for a stamp on Denis Suárez's heel in the 55th minute of Real Madrid's visit to Celta Vigo this Saturday afternoon.
Modric brought down Suárez
Modric brought down Denis Suárez who was attacking down the left touchline, with referee Estrada Fernández reviewing the incident on the pitchside monitor presumably after being alerted to the possible seriousness of the foul by the VAR. Having reviewed the action, Estrada gave Modric a straight red card.
That's Modric's first red card in LaLiga and only his second as a Real Madrid player, having received his marching orders in August 2014 against Atlético Madrid in the Spanish Super Cup.
AS' resident ref Eduardo Iturralde said of the sending off: "This year the referees have been strongly warned about how dangerous these kind of tackles from behind on the achilles are. They've been told to take a zero tolerance stance on these kind of challenges. That said, for me it's a bit of bad luck the challenge from Modric, who isn't looking to foul, but it's a challenge where you take an unnecessary risk which can end up being dangerous."
Kroos doubled Real Madrid's advantage
Real Madrid were leading 1-0 at that point and Celta nearly levelled from the resulting free-kick, Courtois turning over a point blank header, but despite their numerical disadvantage it was Real Madrid who scored next; Kroos hitting a superb effort from out onto the left in off the cross bar right in the top corner of Blanco's goal.
Lucas Vázquez made it 3-0 for Real Madrid in the 79th minute.
Te recomendamos en English
- DISNEY+ Star Wars The Mandalorian Season 2: how many episodes and when are they released on Disney+?
- 2020 US ELECTIONS US elections: What's Trump's plan to deal with Coronavirus?
- US Election 2020 USA Election 2020: how could mail voting affect the result?
- US Election 2020 USA Election 2020: is it mandatory to vote and can I be fined?
- US Election 2020 What's Trump's plan to improve the economy, provide stimulus and lower unemployment?
- Coronavirus Stimulus Check Second stimulus check: could it be higher than $1,200?