Real Madrid still have not confirmed that the Trofeo Bernabéu will not go ahead this year
Diario AS reported back in July that it would be impossible to find a date for the Trofeo Bernabéu, the team's official presentation ahead of the new season.
There is still no official word from Real Madrid regarding whether this year's Trofeo Bernabéu will go ahead or not. With the new LaLiga season underway, Real Madrid would normally have made some kind of announcement because no games can be played at the Bernabéu stadium at the moment due to the refurbishment work that is taking place. Back in July, Diario AS reported that it would be impossible to stage the event - the team's traditional presentation, this year. However, the club has issued information to club members regarding changes to seating and which gate they need to enter for the first home game of the season, against Valladolid on Saturday 24th August.
At the start of the year, Florentino Pérez told journalists that the club was looking at a date between 14-16 August for the Trofeo Bernabéu but that was before the club got the go-ahead to begin remodelling the Santiago Bernabéu stadium. This year would have been the 40th edition of the summer tournament which was inaugurated in 1979 as homage to the legendary club president after whom the stadium is named. In 2014 the Trofeo Bernabéu didn't take place due to a congested fixtures calendar (Madrid played the Spanish and European Super Cups that August). It has occasionally been moved to alternative dates in the year (the 2000, 2003 and 2012 editions were switched to September and the 2007 edition, against Partizan, took place in December).
Te recomendamos en English
- REAL MADRID Vinicius misses training over Covid-19 test doubts
- David Silva changed the dynamic of Manchester City, says Begiristain
- REAL MADRID-ALAVÉS Zidane: "Hazard hasn't suffered a relapse, he'll be ready tomorrow"
- CHAMPIONS LEAGUE Champions League quarter final draw Live: how and where to watch
- CORONAVIRUS How to get stimulus check without filing taxes?
- CORONAVIRUS Second stimulus check: how long could voting be delayed?