Mario Balotelli joins hometown club Brescia on a free
Former AC Milan and Liverpool striker Mario Balotelli was a free agent before agreeing a deal to join Serie A club Brescia.
Mario Balotelli has signed for hometown club Brescia after agreeing a "multi-year" contract with the Serie A outfit. The Italy international was a free agent after his short-term deal with Olympique de Marseille expired and when negotiations with Brazilian club Flamengo broke down he looked set to start the new season without a club.
Balotelli's birthday move
But Brescia president Massimo Cellino told Gazzetta dello Sport that Balotelli made it clear he wanted a move to Stadio Mario Rigamonti on 12 August - his 29th birthday.
"That day he expressed his desire to return to his city," said Cellino of Balotelli, who spent much of his childhood in the region of Brescia. "Hence all those rumours have only caused confusion, because there was no written agreement and Flamengo rushed to Monte Carlo to trip us up."
Spell in France
Balotelli scored eight Ligue 1 goals in 15 appearances for Marseille in 2018-19 but the club's failure to qualify for the Champions League forced them to lower their wage budget and allow him to leave. Prior to his move to Stade Velodrome, Balotelli impressed during a two-and-a-half-year spell at Nice, where he scored 33 league goals in his first 51 appearances, before enduring a difficult start to the 2018-19 campaign.
Cellino has high hopes for him at Brescia. "I have good feelings," he said. "I'm sure Mario will give everything for survival, which remains a difficult goal. It is also a way to thank Brescia, who is very close to me. I won't talk about figures, but this operation costs a lot."
Balotelli could make his debut when newly promoted Brescia begin their Serie A campaign with a trip to Cellino's former club Cagliari on Sunday 25 August.
Te recomendamos en English
- coronavirus What travel recommendations have the CDC established for Thanksgiving?
- NBA LeBron James' Los Angeles Lakers set to sign Marc Gasol – reports
- BOXING Tyson vs Jones Jr: Two boxing legends and the shock defeats in their storied careers
- LIGA MX There will be a Clásico Nacional in both Women’s and Men’s playoffs in the Liga MX
- LIGA MX Four key matchups to be aware for the quarter-finals in the Liga MX
- ALFREDO RELAÑO Messi is an extravagance which Barça can no longer afford