Atlético Madrid fans see results of Metropolitano facelift
The area surrounding the Wanda Metropolitano stadium is greener, there are new glass partitions and there is a new sign on the facade.
The Wanda Metropolitano is all set for the new season, the third since its inauguration and ahead of this evening's league opener against Getafe there have been numerous cosmetic and environmental changes in and around the stadium. The most eye-catching is the giant, red and white Atleti sign outside the ground which will be illuminated when darkness falls.
The zone surrounding the Metropolitano is much greener now that a tree-lined garden area has been installed in the central walkway which was much drier at this point last season. Saplings were planted ahead of the Champions League final between Liverpool and Tottenham and those trees have grown and will eventually provide some shade as fans make their way to the stadium.
New features at the Metropolitano
The stadium also now features glass partitions which will give fans some protection on windy days in the capital. On with sweltering weather in Madrid, hot currents of air blow through gaps in the side of the stadium but that is another inconvenience that has been addressed and dealt with. There is also a new free luggage storage service and improved access for the disabled. The new system for entering the ground did cause some delays and queues today - the first time it was used.
Griezmann's plaque defaced
Out on the Wanda Metropolitano Legends Walkway, Antonie Griezmann was defaced by fans today. Plaques honouring Courtois and Arda Turan were also attacked before the Getafe game.
Te recomendamos en English
- AFCON qualifiers Despite an early scare, Nigeria too strong for plucky Lesotho
- Barcelona Barcelona: Dani Olmo leaves door open for Camp Nou return
- MLS Mandzukic: Inter Miami and LA Galaxy want Juventus striker
- European Championships England end Euro 2020 qualifying campaign on a high
- Euro 2020 Van Dijk leaves Netherlands squad due to personal reasons
- CRISTIANO RONALDO Cristiano: "You all invented a story that all was not well at Juve"